Unusual Patch Use

usaf70

What would be the reason one would sew a group of patches together unless to be worn on a Party Suit?

This is from a USAF pilot's estate and they are all backed with hook & loop on reverse.

Any info is appreciated.

post-388-0-56089800-1561090175.jpg

post-388-0-63788500-1561090185.jpg

Well, the Squadrons / Flights are lined up like Navy rockers So I'd bet it was mounted on a felt board or something like that. Probably had all his awards and rank stuff and those sorts of things for display purposes, like a shadow box or "I Love Me" wall.

Ironically, the most unique and possibly valuable one is on the bottom. From the lettering it looks Asian made.

This is what is known as a "stacked gaggle". Many times, before dedicated gaggle patches were made, they simply sewed all the units from the wing together. Sometimes the patches were cut up, other times they were just piled on top of each other like the OP. This happened mostly in the 70s into the early 80s. These were mostly worn by Wing Commanders and maybe a few Wing Staff. Any real stacked gaggle is hard to find. Here's one I have that had the patches cut up to make them fit. 56 Tac. Training Wing at MacDill circa 1983. It's about 7.5" long!

Randy

post-8832-0-47213800-1561169213.jpg

Thanks everyone.

I picked up two different stacked patches from USAF Pilot's estate.

What sort of value is placed on these style patches? I assume it depends

on the squadrons.