2 Panel Corpsman Helmet - Opinions?

Nickman983

Just picked this one up from John this week. Figured I'd make my own thread as the other didn't gain much traction and I plan on adding a lot more pictures of this helmet so I figured it's best to have them at the top of the thread.

I think everything looks OK on this one but I am by no means an expert on painted helmets let alone medic helmets so I'd be very interesting in hearing what others think.

I believe I'm seeing some signs of micro cracking, but it's not widespread. I'll attach some pictures of both the areas with and without micro cracking to hopefully give a good view on the paint.

As mentioned on the previous thread, there's a first initial and last name marked inside the helmet as C. Nuernberger. There is also what appears to be a SSN below the vet's name. I've tried searching the AAD but haven't had any luck just yet.

Assuming everything is legit, my assumption would be that this is a Korean War helmet, would this be correct?

Here is an Imgur album with the full resolution images for anyone who's interested https://imgur.com/a/JD67WQu

Here's the link to the previous thread http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/328557-named-2-panel-usn-medical-helmet/

Here are the first two images of the front and hook side of the helmet

post-169952-0-49557600-1561070034.jpg

post-169952-0-78245600-1561070039.jpg

panel on hook side

These are the last set of pictures.

I know I've already posted a lot of photos but if anyone would like to see more please let me know

post-169952-0-42014100-1561070429.jpg

post-169952-0-59269800-1561070433.jpg

Looks Ok to me although I am by far no means an expert on painted helmets. Looks KW vintage to me

Yea, that's my assumption as well especially given thr HM1 rank written next to the vet's name. I think I've seen a few examples of KW medic helmets on here that are very similar to this one as well.

Burning Hazard

The loupe shows pretty good detail; you can see micro-cracking and rust coming in from underneath the paint which is a good indicator that this helmet is original.

Pat

The loupe shows pretty good detail; you can see micro-cracking and rust coming in from underneath the paint which is a good indicator that this helmet is original.

Pat

Thanks for the input Pat. That's what I was thinking but being that this is only my 2nd painted M1 I wanted to get some other opinions.

I'm hoping I'll eventually be able to find something on the vet whose name is written inside but so far I haven't found anything

Anyone have any suggestions on how to research the vet this helmet belonged to? I've tried looking on the access to archival databases website as well as ancestry's SSDI and I haven't been able to find anything yet.

Also, am I correct in assuming this is in all likelihood a Korean war era helmet? Reason I ask is because while attempting to do some research I found a C Nuernberger on facebook who lists being in the Navy between '71-'77 and being an HM1 though I suspect this is just a coincidence, especially considering it says he was a lab supervisor. Thoughts?

manayunkman

Does anyone find concern with the picture of the gathered red paint?

It looks like it happened while the paint was wet?

Does anyone find concern with the picture of the gathered red paint?

It looks like it happened while the paint was wet?

I know I've seen this on at least one other helmet. Bugme posted a WWII example with similar but more pronounced paint rippling http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24461-marked-medical-helmets-of-all-eras/&do=findComment&comment=175355

I want to say there's another helmet with similar paint rippling in that thread but I'll have to dig through it tomorrow morning

You asked for opinions; here is mine:

I am neutral, at best, on this one. I am not sure when cracks in the paint started making helmets original. ‘Micro-cracking’ (actually called crazing) can be caused / hastened by several factors - including thickness of paint, type of paint, interaction between layers, heat, etc. In several of the pictures, the white has a toasted-marshmallow look, which is a sign of artificial aging - either by heat gun or chemicals.

You asked for opinions; here is mine:

I am neutral, at best, on this one. I am not sure when cracks in the paint started making helmets original. Micro-cracking (actually called crazing) can be caused / hastened by several factors - including thickness of paint, type of paint, interaction between layers, heat, etc. In several of the pictures, the white has a toasted-marshmallow look, which is a sign of artificial aging - either by heat gun or chemicals.

Which pictures in particular are you seeing this in?

Burning Hazard

Micro-cracking does not 100% guarantee originality but after observing numerous original painted helmets it's the best reference we have at the moment. If you look at post #13 you can see rust coming in from underneath the paint, I don't think it's ever possible to fake that, it's a natural process.

Here is a pic of my original MP painted helmet with a similar phenomenon:

post-8715-0-82210500-1561121484_thumb.jpg