M1 Helmet with "4" in Yellow Square Insignia on Front

tarheeltim

I picked up this helmet this weekend at a local estate sale. It's rear seam, with sewn on OD chinstraps, and a yellow square painted on the front with the number 4 inside. Any insights on what this represents?

My understanding is that although rear seam, the sewn on chinstraps indicate WWII production. The lot number appears to be "542" or "542A". Overall, it's in excellent condition.

Any info on period, what the insignia represents, and value would be appreciated.

Thanks.

post-154764-0-38658300-1560825044.jpg

post-154764-0-24099100-1560825058.jpg

The Rooster

Hello,

Somewhat of a helmet novice here.... But in my honest novice opinion, the chin straps are reproduction and the paint on the whole lid including the art on the front looks too new and too fresh.

It looks like a refurbished helmet to me. Im a novice so others that really have the eye and know more, can tell us all more.

I could be totally off.

Burning Hazard

Rooster, the helmet and Chinstraps are original WWII, they’re just very minty. The Shell looks like a Schlueter by the dark of paint, bristly cork and OD7 chinstraps (should be a large ‘S’ stamped near the heat number on the inner visor). Not sure what the insignia is but I like it.

Pat

The Rooster

Okay, I see the stains in them now. I should #1 look more closely. And #2... Keep it shut more. I did throw the disclaimer on there.... lol

The yellow square makes me think artillery. The 13th field artillery brigade used a similar yellow square. If the number was red you could bet it was artillery, now, it might be...

Rooster, the helmet and Chinstraps are original WWII, they’re just very minty. The Shell looks like a Schlueter by the dark of paint, bristly cork and OD7 chinstraps (should be a large ‘S’ stamped near the heat number on the inner visor). Not sure what the insignia is but I like it.

Pat

I have a couple of Schlueters, and I looked hard for the "S" on this one, but didn't see one.

Another collector said he had seen similar insignia, and it was some sort of USMC tactical marking. I was hoping to see if that could be confirmed or denied.

BILL THE PATCH

Any wear on the liner inside? Sweat marks? This helmet looks like it was put away. That paint job looks like it was done yesterday. Very nice if real.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk