OK You M-1 Steel Pot Helmet Collectors, What do I have here?

Frank_Smith

Frank_Smith

Can anyone tell me about the liner that has the handwritten name and then the stamped name? Is this right?

Also, the decals on helmet #1 looked later and not Navy. I thought they might have been put together.

huntssurplus

You are right first liner is probably put with the helmet, those decals are more characteristic of Army helmets.

For the last liner you mentioned, what do you mean by "is this right"? Liner is a very nice WW2 example manufactured by CAPAC. Everything looks good on it to me, including the names if that is what you are asking.

Great score though and even better helmets! 2 very nice fix bails and the the Navy helmet!

Hunt

manayunkman

I think that one is a Marine helmet.

It could be Navy but the way the name is stamped in both script and block letters just makes me think Marine.

It won’t be hard to find out.

All look nice period helmets but to me the Navy -USN with blue band has been painted and aged to appear old.

Other than that all nice pieces and even the one liner has the early double wire buckle sweatband.

Burning Hazard

Agreed with Ron, the USN looks like a reenactor piece. The other helmets are good; that early FB with cast buckles is really nice.

Pat

RememberThe5thESB

See now, I'm too young to even get married by law even. But I have parents and a father... So might I suggest a very nice dinner to take the bride out on? Juuuust sayin'...

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Frank_Smith

I want to thank those individuals who responded to the post or who messaged me. It was fun, informative, and my wife got a huge kick out of it.

As an FYI, she ended up paying just about $60 per helmet including commission. Needless to say that I've been on my best behavior and very complimentary all week. We've also got plans to go out.

Most of the PM's I received involved asking what I plan on doing with the helmets or what I want for them. I can tell you that I don't plan on keeping them. However, I didn't get much input in the way of value, so I need to do some more research before I sent a price or move them to an auction.

Thanks again to everyone. I hope you have a great weekend.

Judging by the shape of the rounded feet of the chinstrap loops and the spot welds at the split of the rim, helmet #3 looks to be a Schlueter. Can you find a stamped S on the inside somewhere? Usually at the front (or sometimes near one the chinstrap loops)?

Nice of your wife to hold the helmets while you took the pictures ^_^

Rene