OK You M-1 Steel Pot Helmet Collectors, What do I have here?

Frank_Smith

Frank_Smith

Funny story.

So I decided to stay home and do some work around the house while my wife and her friend went to an auction and to hit some antique shops. While military items weren't listed on the auction flier, there were some things. My wife tried to call me and while I was outside working but my phone was inside. She decided to take a chance and purchased three M-1 steel pot helmets that she thought were from WWII or the Korean War. While I like some aspects of each helmet and think one or two might be really good, I'm not a helmet or field gear collector. I know I could search the forum and get a number of my answers, but part of this post is to see what others think as my wife has been acting like a proud cat that has just caught a mouse and wants some kudos. I know she wants to hear what others have to say as she thinks and hopes that she has learned some things via osmosis hanging around me for 10 years. Clearly, fixed bail, split seam, Westinghouse and Firestone liners are all terms I've heard before, but here are my questions:

1. What do you think (period, real, fake, etc.)?

2. Do the liners and steel pots go together or did someone marry them at one point?

3. Who is the maker of the liner that has the cross mark?

4. Any ideas as to value and anything else I need to know?

Once I get a few responses I will let you know what she paid.

With that said, here are pictures of helmet #1.

post-316-0-62991300-1560738802_thumb.jpg