Photo

Can anyone help with this belt and US buckle?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ScottG

ScottG
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,832
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:18 PM

This came into the museum a few days ago and the nearest thing I can find to it on the forum is one with a wreath around the US and a sword hangar. Would this be an enlisted version of that belt? I see no maker marks, the belt is leather and overall its in great shape. I need to decide if we are keeping it or not. I would like to know the proper name and if possible a value for our catalog system. Thanks for any help.  Scott

Attached Images

• resized_101_4383.JPG
  • resized_101_4384.JPG
  • resized_101_4385.JPG

#2 joeclown

joeclown
  • Members
    • Member ID: 127,885
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:56 AM

Looking at it being white i would guess at band or honor/color  guard

#3 ScottG

ScottG
  • Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:28 AM

Thank you.   Scott

#4 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:04 PM

This looks a lot like the model 1832 Foot Artillery and Infantry sword belt a.k.a.Model 1833 white buff belt and frog all tho this example doesn't have a sword frog. See "American Military Belts and Related Equipments", by R. Stephen Dorsey, pages 12 and 13.

#5 ScottG

ScottG
  • Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:19 PM

This looks a lot like the model 1832 Foot Artillery and Infantry sword belt a.k.a.Model 1833 white buff belt and frog all tho this example doesn't have a sword frog. See "American Military Belts and Related Equipments", by R. Stephen Dorsey, pages 12 and 13.

Thank you for the information Lee. I do not have a copy of that book, but I will do some searching online. If its that old it sure is a beauty!  Again, thanks for answering.   Scott

#6 ScottG

ScottG
  • Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:17 PM

So, I got the Dorsey book and while this belt sure seems hand stitched and similar to the Model 1832, there are some big differences in my opinion. The M1832 appears to have the sword hangar incorporated into the belt and as you all can see, this does not and the M1832 do not appear to be removable. This does not have any other embellishment on the buckle except the U.S. So, could it be just a standard em belt and buckle from that era? Or is it for a ceremonial use like bandsmen or M.P. etc? I am truly lost on this but would love to get a better description for our museum catalog system. Thanks to all so far and to any others who may know.   Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users