• s-l500.jpg

#2 rooster77

rooster77
  • Members
    • Member ID: 181,333
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:54 PM

I found it.

CHAPTER 7. Telephone Circuits A. Sound-powered telephones are linked together to form circuits. Each circuit has a name. Circuits are labeled with letters and sometimes with numbers followed by letters. Each jack-box on a circuit has a number. Main circuits are lettered from JA to JZ. 1. The JA circuit is the Captain's battle circuit. It connects Conn (the Captain's battle station) with control stations throughout the ship. Here are some examples of the kind of messages that are sent from Conn: (Forward control to Conn) (Conn, forward control, destroyer bearing three for zero." (Conn to control station) "Control aft, Conn, start tracking." (Cone to Sky Control station) "Sky Control, Conn, planes sighted dead ahead." This is the main fighting circuit of the ship. Over this circuit the Captain gives orders to his officers, receives reports from them regarding the progress of the action, casualties to material and personnel, damage to the enemy, and other information. 2. The 1JV circuit is the primary maneuvering circuit. This means that messages that have to do with the speed and course of the ship, mooring lines, and 22 anchoring are sent over this circuit. Information on this circuit helps to get the ship in and out of port, and maneuver when at sea. It connects Conn with such places as the engine rooms, fantail, and forecastle. Here are some common messages heard on this circuit: (Conn to Engine Room) "Engine room, Conn, we will anchor in about five minutes." (Conn to Anchor Detail on Forecastle) "Foc'sle, Conn, prepare to let go starboard anchor." (Conn to Anchor Detail on Forecastle) "Foc'sle, Conn, let go." (Conn to Deck Detail on Fantail) "Fantail, Conn, slack the stern line."

#3 rooster77

rooster77
  • Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:55 PM

Painted white... Could this be a coast Guard Lid?

This info is out of a coast guard manual.

Or is it the same in the Navy?

Edited by rooster77, 12 June 2019 - 07:55 PM.

#4 Wake1941

Wake1941
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,850
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:04 PM

I wouldnt say coast guard, appears to be blue gray. Which is typical navy paint

#5 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,104
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:19 PM

I wouldnt say coast guard, appears to be blue gray. Which is typical navy paint

. The exterior is standard post war haze gray with the markings sprayed on with spray paint.

#6 rooster77

rooster77
  • Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:45 PM

Haze gray over the standard Blue?

I thought it was white!

#7 rooster77

rooster77
  • Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:50 PM

I picked up a leather blast helmet to go under this lid. I couldnt figure out why they would need a blast helmet under the steel one. It has to do with the sound powered ear phones.

If the transmitter portion of the talker set was damaged.... you could speak or transmit through one of the ear phones. So they wanted them shielded in the cups on the blast helmet to keep outside noise from transmitting through the earphones garbling the entire system.

The ear phones from the talker system go in the cups and the Talker steel over the whole thing.

Attached Images

• s-l1600.jpg

Edited by rooster77, 12 June 2019 - 08:55 PM.

#8 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:05 AM

Haze gray over the standard Blue?
I thought it was white!

. Haze Gray. These things get repainted many times over their life span. This one has been painted sometime after WW2.

#9 Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,751
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:09 AM

The talker helmet was used as late as Vietnam if not later

#10 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:44 AM

The talker helmet was used as late as Vietnam if not later

. We were still using them into the early 1990s. Horrid things. Hated wearing them. Most uncomfortable device you could ever strap to your head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users