• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 awo41

awo41
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,741
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:18 PM

Went over and took my family with me for the big day. Planned and saved 1-1/2 years. Got to look around on the 5th a little bit. Hung out in St. Mere-Eglise on the 5th. Was super busy and cool. On the 6th however it was a TOTAL bust!!! The police had literally the ENTIRE beach section of all the landing beaches in Normandy and roughly 2-3 miles inland shut down. We couldnt get anywhere near the beaches on DDay because of political figures visiting. No alternative location for normal folks to see and pay respects. Ruined my day to say the least. But we rebounded and made a run for the eastern part of France and had a great look at Verdun

#2 Navybean

Navybean
  • Members
    • Member ID: 45,737
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:58 PM

Sounds like a great trip too bad about June 6th.. hopefully you got to visit the beaches on another date.
The beaches are awesome as is Verdun and Fort Douaumont is unbelievable with all the shell craters a must visit.

#3 razorback

razorback
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 212,424
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

Too bad you couldn't visit in Normandy all the places you wanted to and I'm really disappointed for you. Since the 2015 terrorists attacks here in France, we're on a permanent high level of security for any public event and of course it is more extended when you have political figures on the sites. We even had a terrorist attack in Lyon on May 24th, that explains why security was so tight for the D-Day 75th célébrations.

#4 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 92
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:40 AM

On the 6th however it was a TOTAL bust!!! The police had literally the ENTIRE beach section of all the landing beaches in Normandy and roughly 2-3 miles inland shut down.

Sorry to hear this… But we went all over the place on the 6th...
Except for the ABMC Cemetery and the international parade at Courseulles, pretty much everything was accessible although very busy...
We were turned back by the Gendarmes only once at it was on the road towards Le Ruquet just next to the cemetery.
We had lunch on Omaha beach near the Vierville Draw as POTUS' Air Force was passing by...

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users