Purple Heart/Bronze Star question

Nuts44

What is the latest anyone has heard or recorded of the awarding of WWII era medals for post war conflicts?

I have heard of wrapped and slot brooches being awarded in Vietnam up through Grenada (slot brooches).

Any other input?

I've seen numbered Purple Heart medals from Iraq. The medals had been re-ribboned to crimp brooch.

After Desert Storm, my supply sergeant ordered a bunch of Bronze Stars and got WWII vintage slot brooch medals. He was trying to order campaign stars. The medals were listed at 25 cents each as I recall. They came with the medal only sandwiched between layers of cardboard.

I saw a Wrap brooch DSC that had been awarded to a soldier in Vietnam. I have always assumed that it was a WWII vintage piece, but who knows? It could have even been WWI. I don't recall the number on the medal, but do know it was numbered.

Allan

I know of two Purple Hearts to Marines from Vietnam that are WWII period. One is split broach and the other is wrapped broach.

I included this footnote in my book on posthumous Purple Hearts:

The author has observed medals produced in the Second World War awarded
to casualties through the 1980s and 1990s, particularly those who were killed
in the line of duty but not during "official" combat operations. Medal-knowledgeable
eye-witnesses involved in combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan
in 2002 and 2003 reported to the author that they saw "WW2 vintage" Purple
Hearts awarded to wounded in action in theater. According to a September 10,
2010 article in the Stars and Stripes, Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) spokeswoman
Mimi Schirmacher is quoted as saying that as of 1985, the DLA had approximately
120,000 sets of refurbished WW2-era Purple Hearts in stock. From 1976
to 2008, the DLA only ordered 13,000 Purple Hearts to maintain quantity on
hand, so it is very likely that Purple Hearts manufactured during the Second
World War have been awarded to casualties of the Global War on Terror.

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning...I can confirm that WWII numbered, slot brooch Silver Star Medals were awarded in the 3rd Infantry Division in OIFI in April of 2003. They were given to us by VCORPS as LTG Wallace was the approval authority. Some 77 or so Soldiers were awarded Silver Stars...very recently SSG Stevon Booker's posthumous SSM was upgraded to a DSC. Very well deserved.

The SSMs were complete in the WWII black titles leatherette cases.

Hope this helps.

VR

Bill

Good morning...I can confirm that WWII numbered, slot brooch Silver Star Medals were awarded in the 3rd Infantry Division in OIFI in April of 2003. They were given to us by VCORPS as LTG Wallace was the approval authority. Some 77 or so Soldiers were awarded Silver Stars...very recently SSG Stevon Booker's posthumous SSM was upgraded to a DSC. Very well deserved.

The SSMs were complete in the WWII black titles leatherette cases.

Hope this helps.

VR

Bill

Thanks for your detailed reply Bill.