Captains name and unit marked in helmet.

M24 Chaffee

M24 Chaffee

This is a continuation from a previous thread I started about purchasing this named WWI helmet.

I picked up the helmet yesterday and took a few more photos to show. I didnt notice the unit information until I went back to the antique mall to make the purchase.

The name is Captain J.K. Fornance. The unit name looks like HQ 167 F.A. Bgd. I googled the 167th field artillery brigade. They were attached to the 92nd (Buffaloes) Infantry Division during WWI. Ill try to find some time to go to my local library and use their computer access to ancestry to see if I can find information on the Captain.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Category:92nd_Infantry_Division%2C_United_States_Army%2C_World_War_I

The liner is in very nice shape but the shell has a dent in the center.

I thought some of you may find this interesting so Im posting a few more photos.

Regards,

Frank

post-2899-0-72742100-1560174502_thumb.jpeg

post-2899-0-28094600-1560174516_thumb.jpeg

post-2899-0-50541600-1560174526_thumb.jpeg

post-2899-0-65388900-1560174537_thumb.jpeg

I don't think I've ever seen one with the leather in such good shape. That's a real beauty! I love it when things pop up with some of the original tags & labels intact. Very nice find! Congrats!!

Joseph Knox Fornance (1882-1965) was a prominent soldier, lawyer, and civic leader in Norristown. The son of Joseph Fornance (1841-1923) and Ellen Knox Fornance, he was born on September 16, 1882 at Selma farm. He attended Swarthmore Preparatory School, Princeton University (BA, 1904), and the University of Pennsylvania Law School. Fornance earned his law degree in 1907 and was admitted to the Montgomery Bar the same year; he continued to practice law on-and-off for over half a century until his death. Just like his father, JKF had his own successful law firm. He took a break from law and served aboard the USS Iowa in 1910 for six months before returning to his law practice. In 1910 he began his political career in the Democratic Party by running several times for State Legislature (and losing). After these losses JKF became active in organizing committees to elect Woodrow Wilson for President. He also served as Assistant Appraiser in the Philadelphia Customs Department under the United States Navy Reserves. In 1915, after serving for several years as Assistant Appraiser and working in his law firm, JKF was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in the Pennsylvania National Guard. He eventually transferred to the United States Army and served during World War I in the European Theatre. JKF attained the rank of Major and received the British Military Cross for outstanding service. After the conclusion of the war, he continued his law practice and was also active in the Historical Society of Montgomery County. He married Ruth Ryder Fornance in 1930 and they had no children. He was a prominent figure in the local community, serving as a Democratic Presidential elector in 1936, president of the Norristown Community Chest, and chairman of the Norristown Civil Defense program during World War II. He died in 1965. His wife Ruth lived on at Selma farm until her death in 1982.

post-5941-0-26188200-1560178306_thumb.jpg

post-5941-0-05006700-1560178316.jpg

M24 Chaffee

Thanks for the comments! The condition of the liner and having the name got my attention.

AustinO, very, very big thanks for providing all that information!!! I wasn’t sure if the number was 167 or 157 or something else. I looked up 167 first. My wife just looked up the Selma Farm website. As you probably know it’s a historic site. No far from us. Mr. Fornance came from a prominent family and had a distinguished career! Very cool that he received the British Military Cross!

As I or if I find more information I’ll add to this thread.

Thank you!

Frank

M24 Chaffee

Thanks anton67 and manayunkman.

From their online site it looks like the University of Penn Library has a good amount of historical information stored on Mr. Fornance’s family and his military service. The library isn’t far from me. When time permits I’ll have go there and do some research.

Frank