Navy Steel Pot

RememberThe5thESB

RememberThe5thESB

Picked this up today at a very fair price, it's a very early fixed bail, with cast buckle, in great shape. Heat stamp ends 2B, cant make anything else out though. I'm guessing in the ballpark below 100 though, 2 digits most likely. Other than being in great shape, it belonged to a group, half of which was donated by the seller (seller said the guy was navy) to a local museum here, found this pot later and I scooped it up. In light blue on the front is what looks like "Hattel", the back has something carved in it that I can't read. Nice late war liner and leather chinstrap to boot, too. Any clue on what SB stands for? Thanks!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

RememberThe5thESB

Anyone have a clue as to what the SB might stand for?

RememberThe5thESB

This all sure put a grin on my face! And thanks for the help aef... And everyone else's colorful suggestions ;)

huntssurplus

I found one Hattel in the Navy, and he was on LCI(L) 608.

I guess it is possible it is something shore related then? Could be what the "S" Stands for.

Hunt

I guess it is possible it is something shore related then? Could be what the "S" Stands for. Or Starboard Boat (Deck), or Sammy Brown.

Hunt

RememberThe5thESB

Hmm, maybe. I just took the time to sit down and try to read what was scraped into the back of the helmet in the paint, it seems to read out FRANK HESS, or just HES. The S is practically on the side of the helmet as well very far from the H and E. Strange that there is 2 names.

Hmm, maybe. I just took the time to sit down and try to read what was scraped into the back of the helmet in the paint, it seems to read out FRANK HESS, or just HES. The S is practically on the side of the helmet as well very far from the H and E. Strange that there is 2 names.

. Not strange at all. Navy helmets are issued to battle stations, not individuals. But if you get s good one, size it to you, you tend to make sure you get the same one when you get on station. And, guys get moved around from station to station. Someone else took it over.

RememberThe5thESB

That's true, I forgot about that for a moment there! I feel like I thought it to be strange more so that it came back home with one man, but of course that really isnt strange at all is it? Gotta wonder what I'm thinking sometimes!

The seller gave me a card, and I believe I'm going to go ahead and send a message his way to see if I cant get more information about it.

RememberThe5thESB

Well it appears that neither "Hattel" or the "FRANK HESS" Scratched into the back of the helmet, the man who I purchased it from got back to me and said that it belonged to a man named Duane Simmons, who served in the Navy in the Pacific. If anyone could help me find more about the man it would be greatly appreciated.

RememberThe5thESB

Did some more research with what I have, he served in the Pacific from 1944-1946 when he was honorably discharged. His full name as well is Duane Edward Simmons. Passed away in March of last year sadly.

Havent found much else about him other than he and both his father served in WW2, his father earning a purple heart, and a younger brother of his serving in Korea.

I'm not sure how to research Navy guys, and dont really have access to anything like ancestry to do so. If anyone can help me on this that would be fantastic! Thanks!

RememberThe5thESB

I've done some cross checking between my McCords and Schlueter M1's, because with him having been a late war sailor, I started to wonder if maybe this helmet was a early production Schlueter as it would fit more closely with the timeline. I'm pretty certain it's a McCord however, due to the brim shape and size of the heat stamp, which lines up much more closely to that of the earlier fixed bail McCords I have than any of my Schlueters.

I could be wrong though, judging from the side shots of it, does it look to have the more gentle curve of a schlueter for the brim to anyone? I'm still having a hard time believing now that after being on 2 separate ships (according to new info) he would bring home a steel pot that was in so great of shape that it looks as if not a speck of salt water hit it. I know it isnt impossible, but it is really making me double guess myself, and I want to get as many opinions or info from as many people as I can. Any and all opinions are more than welcome!

I'm not sure how to research Navy guys, and dont really have access to anything like ancestry to do so. If anyone can help me on this that would be fantastic! Thanks!

Here's what I pieced together - Duane Edward Simmons, DOB: 6 Oct 1926, Navy serial number 7536247, enlisted 13 Sep 1944, assigned to Shoemaker Navy Training and Distribution Center; on 6 Feb 1945 assigned to U.S.S. Iowa as a Seaman, 2nd Class; later assigned to the destroyer U.S.S. Twining. He resided in Carthage, IL and died 2 Mar 2018.

Tom

RememberThe5thESB

Thank you, I've made two threads, this one particularly on the helmet, and another more specifically on the man. I would say I've put together a fairly competent story of service. I'm more inclined to the helmet being taken from the USS Twining due to it being the ship he was last on, as much as I would like to believe it to have been from his time on the USS Iowa, I find it unlikely that a sailor would've... "borrowed" a steel pot they were fond of from another ship and manage to take ot aboard the next... (I do have my theory on the maybe for that but it's probably just me getting my hopes up haha).

Aside from this, I would like to say I greatly appreciate, and am more than thankful for all of the help everyone has given me on this helmet! Thank you cant really even describe how grateful I am for all the help you've all given me!

RememberThe5thESB

I guess it is possible it is something shore related then? Could be what the "S" Stands for. Or Starboard Boat (Deck), or Sammy Brown.

Hunt

Considering that he had a helmet... And I'm going to assume you're only wearing a steel pot if you're usually above deck, and part of a gun crew more or less. Maybe it is reference to the area of the gun crew? "Starboard bow" gun crew, "starboard beam" gun crew. Just a simple reference to the gun crew or gun pit you're from on the ship?

Considering that he had a helmet... And I'm going to assume you're only wearing a steel pot if you're usually above deck, and part of a gun crew more or less. Maybe it is reference to the area of the gun crew? "Starboard bow" gun crew, "starboard beam" gun crew. Just a simple reference to the gun crew or gun pit you're from on the ship? The Navy does not designate their guns like that.

RememberThe5thESB

Considering that he had a helmet... And I'm going to assume you're only wearing a steel pot if you're usually above deck, and part of a gun crew more or less. Maybe it is reference to the area of the gun crew? "Starboard bow" gun crew, "starboard beam" gun crew. Just a simple reference to the gun crew or gun pit you're from on the ship? The Navy does not designate their guns like that.

Well shoot. I'm out of guesses at this point.