20th Anniversary D Day

cagedfalcon

cagedfalcon

Dose anybody know if a 75th issue is available?

Lots of great photos & stories if I knew French

Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don’t think that’s a D-Day tribute. The headline translates roughly as The Allied Attack on Germany. I think this is about the Rhine Crossing in March 1945.

cagedfalcon

I believe cover photo is a know D-Day photo. Could be wrong.

Franklin45

The photo on the cover of the 1960's French magazine was taken in March of 1945. It depicts troops of the 89th Infantry Division crossing the Rhine.

The original caption reads:

'Crouching low in a Dukw for concealment and protection, men of the 89th division, U.S. Third Army, cross the Rhine River at Oberwesel, Germany. 26 March 1945.'

It is Signal Corps photo number SC204743.

An un-colorized version may be found at this link (5th photo down): https://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2015/11/11/found-in-the-archives-seldom-seen-photos-from-world-war-2/

My grandfather was a member of the 89th Divison's 314th Engineer Combat Battalion in the Spring of 1945.

cagedfalcon

The photo on the cover of the 1960's French magazine was taken in March of 1945.  It depicts troops of the 89th Infantry Division crossing the Rhine.

The original caption reads:

'Crouching low in a Dukw for concealment and protection, men of the 89th division, U.S. Third Army, cross the Rhine River at Oberwesel, Germany. 26 March 1945.'

It is Signal Corps photo number SC204743.

An un-colorized version may be found at this link (5th photo down): https://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2015/11/11/found-in-the-archives-seldom-seen-photos-from-world-war-2/

My grandfather was a member of the 89th Divison's 314th Engineer Combat Battalion in the Spring of 1945.

Franklin

Thank you for the correct information & your grandfather's service. I am have a small collection of 89th items but mainly WW1 so far.