Grenade apron with 1941 date

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

This WWI style grenade apron/vest has an apparent 1941 date stamped on the back (right next to the army-navy surplus store price).

I have not seen anything showing these being made after WWI.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Browninggunner688

Very nice U.S.M.C depot made grenade vest, been after one for years, I have the WW1 made and dated ones in my collection and missed out on a depot made vest on eBay a few years ago here in England, never seen another one since.

Nick.

Bob Hudson

Very nice U.S.M.C depot made grenade vest, been after one for years, I have the WW1 made and dated ones in my collection and missed out on a depot made vest on eBay a few years ago here in England, never seen another one since.

Nick.

Thanks - I can see now where it the stamp begins with DQP:

2.jpg

2a.jpg

5.jpg

By the way it is for sale.

Bob Hudson

I foond another example online and it shows that the stamp says DQP 1940-41

6.jpg

'Flage Guy

Super find, Bob!! Bought one of these some years ago from Harlan Glenn; before that, ran across one made in '44!!!!

These are actually quite different than the old Army Vests- compared here (the '41 Vest is on top, the '44 beneath):

post-3226-0-94452900-1559678314_thumb.jpg

'Flage Guy

Close-up...tent canvas used on the Marine Vest, as opposed to the soft loose-weave of the Army's model.

post-3226-0-02645500-1559678384_thumb.jpg

'Flage Guy

2nd Raider Battalion debarking from the sub "Nautilus" for the Makin Island Raid.

The man at the ladder carries one of these Depot Vests.

post-3226-0-05836000-1559678723_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The picture in 'Flage Guy's comment is slightly cropped. Here is an uncropped version of the image (in the link below; click on the photo to see it in its entirety).

https://www.historynet.com/marine-veterans-recount-daring-raid-on-makin-atoll.htm

The linked page also has a personal account from the Raider on the right in the photo, PFC Dean Winters.