Dawg7 is on a mission

dawg7

Good Morning Folks and Howdy from Texas!

I will admit that I am here mainly for one thing and that is to complete a mission! I have been tasked by a family member to assist the nephew of BG Robert J. Gill (US ARMY) in the identification of BG Gill's awards, medals and decorations. I recognize several as US Army awards and have found others to be from Europe. I am in need of assistance in verification of what I have researched and the identification of some that I can't locate.

Ok so I may not be here just for one thing as I come from a military family with an aviation background. I enjoy anything that relates to WWII and airplanes. So I see myself wandering around the forum topics.

My uncle was a B17 tail gunner with the 8th Air Force during WWII and survived the Schweinfurt and Regensburg bombing missions. I wish I had more information but as my Father has told me many times that my uncle would not go into any details about any of his missions. Matter of fact it wasn't until the 90s did we learn about the Schweinfurt and Regensburg bombing missions. Completely understandable.

Thanks for the allowing me to be a part of this group!

Dawg7 (Carter)

Welcome aboard! You've come to the right place and I know many on here will be happy to help - best of luck!

Carter, welcome!

The USAAF in Europe had some pretty good records, and a lot of information has been retained and is stored online for our use.

If you can share your relatives name it's quite possible some of us research hounds can pull some additional details for you regarding his service. If you're not comfortable putting it out there, just send me a private message and I'll do a quick search for you.

manayunkman

BG Robert J. Gill.

I believe that is the person in question.

Welcome to a place where knowledge is deep.

BG Robert J. Gill.

I believe that is the person in question.

Welcome to a place where knowledge is deep.

Gill was a BG in 1945/46 and is, I think, unrelated to Carter with the exception of being a family member's friend's relative.

I am going to post a picture in the Medals and Decorations section with a list of what I think they are called and from what country they originated. I am not related to BG Gill at all. His nephew is the one requesting or I should say it was offered and he accepted the assistance by my family member in the identification of his awards and medals. They knew little of the awards and medals other than a short Bio from the Historical Society of Carroll County, MD which only identified a few of them.

AustinO- thanks for the offer and I will PM you shortly.

/r

Carter