M62A1 3 inch Can O' APC Round

Persian Gulf Command

Persian Gulf Command

I purchased this rare tube and case from a Forum Member and just recently found the M62A1 projo. Both are dated 1944. Thank you for your views and comments are welcome.

Photo 1 of 6

post-17994-0-63336700-1559391921_thumb.jpg

Very nice complete set. One small problem easily fixed. Color. Notice your fibre tube cap is inked M66 base detonating fuze. That means it would detonate the HE charge inside on impact. Having a base fuze, the color of the projo should be OD with yellow ink lettering. If it had no HE filler, I believe the color of the projo would be black with white lettering. That is how the Sherman 75mm M61 APC was colored. Black, not HE filled, OD, HE filled. I may be mistaken, but checking the 1944 TM would clear that up. I will think about this further.

More: I believe by the ink marking on your headcase , ( M62 APC) the correct color for the matching projo for that case marking should be black, with white lettering. However, the tube ink marking indicates an HE APC as it is ink stamped with a base detonating fuze ( M66). A bit confusing, but keep the projo black to match the case. None the less, you have a rare desirable set for the advanced ordnance collector.

Persian Gulf Command

Great information, 917601, thank you!

I'll just have to keep this Projo/case together with the shipping container I have until I locate the correct container or am OD M62 w/ a 76mm M-26 case and M66A1 fuse. The great thing about this field of collecting is that as you look for one item two or three other items find you to embellish your collection.