15 replies to this topic

#1 Nkumburis

Nkumburis
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,882
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 06:12 PM

Good Evening,

As you can tell by the title I was at a Malaysian Flea Market when I bought this jumper. I was traveling for a trip with my MBA program and decided to do some antiquing in Southeast Asia. Kuala Lumpur has an impressive vintage flea market which specializes in clothes mainly from the 1970s-1990s. While searching through a rack I stumbled upon this jumper. Named(which I can't make out, maybe KABER?) Seabees jumper from WW2 with the triangle CB patch on the left sleeve. In addition the uniform has a white cord sewn over the right shoulder. I was not expecting to find such an interesting piece overseas so I hope you all enjoy it. Also if anyone can assist with IDing the uniform I would greatly appreciate it! - Nick K

Attached Images

• IMG_7428.JPG
  • IMG_7429.JPG

#2 Nkumburis

Nkumburis
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 06:13 PM

more

Attached Images

• IMG_7430.JPG
  • IMG_7431.JPG

#3 Nkumburis

Nkumburis
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 06:14 PM

more

Attached Images

• IMG_7432.JPG
  • IMG_7433.JPG

#4 Nkumburis

Nkumburis
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 06:14 PM

last

Attached Images

• IMG_7434.JPG

#5 Bearmon

Bearmon
  • Members
    • Member ID: 582
  • 4,001 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:11 PM

Its the elusive double triangle CB patch, AKA  Diamond...  Nice jumper top.

Edited by Bearmon, 31 May 2019 - 07:11 PM.

#6 Airwolf

Airwolf
  • Members
    • Member ID: 18,217
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:06 AM

very nice find

#7 firefighter

firefighter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 105,435
  • 12,634 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:33 AM

Don't think I've ever seen a green bee before.
Nice honest jumper

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#8 Nkumburis

Nkumburis
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:24 PM

Ya'll keep pointing out minor details I've never noticed on this uniform, thanks for the sharp eyes gentlemen. Any suggestions on finding more info. on the Vet? - Nick K

#9 aerialbridge

aerialbridge
  • Members
    • Member ID: 18,406
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:59 AM

The story behind that jumper gets more substantial and somber.  I collect medals, not uniforms, but I would make an exception for this one, since a Navy posthumous engraved Purple Heart would rightly go with it.  The white branch mark around the right shoulder indicates a non rated seaman.  The white marks on the cuffs indicate paygrade 6 for seaman second class.  Louis Orville Kaber and his twin sister Lois were born March 24, 1926 in Rutland, ND, among the youngest of six children of Walter and Ellen Swanson Kaber.   The family moved from Dakota to Whitefish, MT in '35.  Louis was an 18-year old  Navy combat casualty killed on 29 Jan 1945 while serving with the 38th NCB (Naval Construction Battalion) in the Marianas, one of 15 that the unit lost.  The 38th repaired and  built the airfields on Tinian, including those for the B29s that ended the war in Japan.   Before the war, he worked for the Great Northern Railway, as did his older brother, Marvin, who served in Europe with the 11th Armored Division and survived the War.  Louis's remains weren't repatriated until 1948 and are buried in Whitefish Cemetery, MT along with his parents and siblings.  His parents died in 1964 and 74.  Louis Kaber is one of 155 names inscribed on the Flathead County, MT memorial to their combat dead from the Span Am through WW2.   The son of a solid, American heartland family.   Far as I'm concerned, that's some priceless fabric you're caretaker of and the unseen hand that led you to that flea-market in Malaysia, where this jumper was waiting for you.  How it survived in SE Asia for nearly 75 years would only add to the story,  but we know that it did.   And we know that it's good that it's home now as a tangible reminder of an 18 year old that once wore it and gave his all.    Construimus, Batuimus; "We build. We fight."

Rest in Peace, Louis.  It's a privilege to learn and share a bit about you with others who still care.

https://www.findagra...s-orville-kaber

The story of the 38th NCB-

https://www.history....ks/38th NCB.pdf

You might want to consider making a permanent post link for this under Navy uniforms.

Attached Images

• Louis Orville Kaber MT combat casualty WW2b.jpg

Edited by aerialbridge, 13 June 2019 - 02:02 AM.

#10 BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,207
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:58 AM

It's amazing it lasted all these years over there. That's a great find . And now his story was told.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#11 Longbranch

Longbranch
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,320
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:24 AM

Not too crazy. Lots of "scrap" clothing from US rag mills are sold/sent to SE Asia.

#12 aerialbridge

aerialbridge
  • Members
    • Member ID: 18,406
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:50 AM

Not too crazy. Lots of "scrap" clothing from US rag mills are sold/sent to SE Asia.

I've read that all those shipping containers that bring us finished goods from Asia (lots of electronics from Malaysia) go back either empty or full of raw materials and "recyclables".    That seems more likely what happened here, given the condition that the jumper is in.   Hopefully, there will now always be a collector that wants to be the caretaker of this, so that the local or international rag-men (no disrespect to rag-men)  don't end up with it (again).  

#13 jguy1986

jguy1986
  • Members
    • Member ID: 112,103
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:18 AM

OP stated this came from a vintage clothing market. There are many dealers in that region who buy old clothes from the US by the bail.

#14 MattS

MattS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 32,676
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:11 AM

Sadly that also explains the lack of a Ruptured Duck. Great research, thanks for posting! 

#15 Longbranch

Longbranch
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,320
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:05 PM

OP stated this came from a vintage clothing market. There are many dealers in that region who buy old clothes from the US by the bail.

Yes, that is what I was implying. Some other posts in this thread seemed to assume this had been floating around SE Asia since WW2, which I was pointing out was almost certainly not the case.

This is definitely a great WW2 Navy uniform. It would be worth getting his file and seeing if this was on the list of items returned to the NOK.

Edited by Longbranch, 13 June 2019 - 02:07 PM.

#16 Nkumburis

Nkumburis
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:25 AM

WOW! Thanks for the research guys! I would lean more towards this was shipped from the States to Malaysia but it wouldn't be too far out there to think it was left over. There is a good amount of Japanese stuff left from the war at some of these markets. Either way I think ill request more information on him. - Nick K

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users