British Made 3rd Air Park Uniform and Wings

cwnorma

Once again the Cleburne, TX show was good for me! I picked up a nice uniform for a Reserve Military Aviator 1st Lieutenant assigned to the 3rd Air Park:

post-594-0-61391000-1558825357.jpg

British-made bullion RMA badge. The wing badge is deeply padded, with at least five different types of bullion and a double border around the shield. I especially like the gold bullion highlights in the shoulders!

post-594-0-52496000-1558825348.jpg post-594-0-90717900-1558825443.jpg

The uniform has wonderful European-made collar insignia (probably French), velvet 3rd Air Park shoulder sleeve insignia, bullion 1st Lieutenant Bars, 2 overseas chevrons, honorable discharge chevron and Interallied Victory Medal ribbon with one bronze star. Close inspection of the photo on the right shows the pilot appears to be wearing this particular uniform. The uniform is a larger size and he was evidently fairly tall. The only negative is the dime-sized tear you can see in one sleeve.

post-594-0-01442600-1558825412.jpg

The uniform was tailored on "Sackville Row" in Piccadilly London

The uniform also came with his pants, an issue-type flight helmet, and a Sam Browne belt.

The 3rd Air Park was a small organization but unfortunately the name written in the jacket does not seem to match any name on the unit roster in Gorrell. The uniform itself doesn't really show any signs of being put-together though. He may have been a late arrival? A number of the photographs that came with the uniform mention locations in occupied Germany as well. At any rate, I am pleased.

Chris

Wow.... Just wow....

I don't know if people appreciate how very nice and rare this uniform is, but it is really great.

Here is nice French-made uniform (and insignia/wings) to a major who also at the 3rd Air Park

post-1519-0-40934500-1559238293_thumb.jpg

post-1519-0-40979300-1559238302_thumb.jpg

post-1519-0-03141300-1559238312_thumb.jpg

Patrick,

I have admired that badge since the first time you posted it. The contrasts of the various types of bullion is amazing. Thanks for your comments on the uniform as well.

As I have been trying to Identify my Lieutenant (his name appears to be "F Marty Earl" I have come to believe that this SSI may not actually represent the 3rd Air Park (as it is often identified), I suspect instead it represents the 3rd Air Instruction Center at Issodun.

I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on this matter?

Chris

I think my guy traces back to the 3rd instruction center at Issodun. That may be a better place to start looking.

• 1 month later...

Patrick et. al.,

Thanks to research by Nico Xav and highlighted here on the forum by John (jagjetta) this patch has been identified as representing the Third Air Instruction Center at Issodun and not the Third Air Park as it has been commonly misidentified:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/328394-is-there-a-definitive-id-on-this-ww1-usas-ssi/&do=findComment&comment=2644572

post-594-0-08293000-1562522158.jpg

(Plane News)

Warm regards!

Chris

Chris, I just took a look at this thread and this is the first time I have seen gold integrated with silver bullion in the way that your wing is. The "US" is singular and as unique as they come, as far as the way the embroidery artist approached the lettering. I am primarily a world war II collector but have several world war I wings that are Sterling. This is one of the most creative world war one bullion wings that I have ever seen, just stunning. I really appreciate you sharing this personal information Chris as I missed it back in May. Very well done sir and I hope that your search for further information bears fruit.