My Flight Nurse Collection

Steve D.

• 2 years later...

What an amazing look at some rare uniforms and insignia. Thanks for sharing all of these and I look forward to seeing more of your collection!  Scott

On 12/21/2021 at 4:42 PM, Steve D. said:

NNC Flight Nurse wings made by Amico. Also issued in 1945.

P1011921.JPG

Besides AMICO, H&H and Meyer’s, were those rare USN Flight Nurse wings made by any other WWII era manufacturers that you know of? 

Thank you Steve. Years ago, I was told Robbins Co also produced a limited number of Flight Nurse badges during WWII... which made sense at the time because Robbins Co indeed made high-quality Flight Surgeon badges during the War. But after years of searching, I’ve never seen one, or heard another reference about one existing. 

I thought due to the terrific depth of your collection, you may have encountered one. 

Thanks for sharing your wonderful collection with us!

I don't have the information as to which MAES she was assigned to. The documentation I have shows her awards as the ETO Campaign, Asiatic-Pacific, Air Medal,

and Presidential Unit Citation. I'm making the assumption that she was in the CBI first, as the photo of her wearing the A-2 does not have the MAES patch. The web site legendsofflightnurses.org, lists her squadron as the 808th. The web page has the 2 bees and strecher drawing at the top of it's home page.

• 1 month later...

My latest acquisition: An F-1 early issue flight nurse uniform. The Nurse was a member of the first graduating class at Bowman Field.

She won 3 Air Medals. 

P1012037.JPG

P1012044.JPG

P1012047.JPG

P1012048.JPG

P1012049.JPG

Note the slight variations between my 2 examples: The one on the left has exposed buttons on the pocket flaps and the jacket closes on the "male side.

The one on the right has hidden buttons on the pockets and closes on the "female" side. The one on the left was issued to a nurse in the 1st graduating class

and may explain the variation.

P1012037.JPG

P1011453.JPG

34 minutes ago, Steve D. said:

Note the slight variations between my 2 examples: The one on the left has exposed buttons on the pocket flaps and the jacket closes on the "male side.

The one on the right has hidden buttons on the pockets and closes on the "female" side. The one on the left was issued to a nurse in the 1st graduating class

P1012037.JPG

P1011453.JPG

Great info!! Your collection is stunning!

...Kat

Brian Dentino

Wow, a stunning addition to your very special collection!  Amazing stuff for sure and VERY hard to find.  Thanks for sharing once again.

On 2/28/2022 at 1:49 PM, Steve D. said:

P1012037.JPG

P1011453.JPG

The R/L variation is very interesting. I've really enjoyed this thread, very informative and absolutely gorgeous uniforms. Thank you! ---Best wishes! Joe

• 1 year later...

Rose Morrow and Virginia Littleton were lifelong friends. They both were nurses and joined the ANC at the same time. They were issued consecutive serial numbers. They both became

Flight nurses and served together during the war. While in Italy they had the pictured Ike jackets made in Naples. 

P1012880.JPG

P1012883.JPG

P1012891.JPG

P1012889.JPG