1918 AEF uniform opinion

kaszanka

hello !!

I obtained this uniform from a fellow collector and i am interested in some opinions about its patches... their originality and placing - I thought a double patched style was a WW2 thing ?

post-111995-0-07590100-1558404118_thumb.jpg

cagedfalcon

Occupation Army after armistice looks original, can't speak for 1st patch

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not regulation or typical.

Is the 1st div patch machine sewn?

The 3rd Army is crudely stitched on....like someone decided to tack it there.

Not regulation or typical.

Is the 1st div patch machine sewn?

The 3rd Army is crudely stitched on....like someone decided to tack it there.

yes, its machine sewn. My thought was that 1st was applied in early 20's - I dont think patches were machine applied during ww1 ? , and that Occupation army was added by a vet later ?

post-111995-0-04695000-1558405869_thumb.jpg

The 1st div. patch doesn't look bad in the pic, but it would help to see it in hand.

Shouldn't be machine sewn....that is atypical.

Either a vet or someone else,...old or new...likely boogered it at some point.

US Victory Museum

I'm not an expert, but I don't like this uniform. I could easily understand the third army (occupation duty)

patch on the LEFT shoulder, but not the right. The right shoulder would suggest prior service, but if the

soldier continued to serve in the armed forces with the 1st Inf. Div, then why would he have a discharge

chevron on his uniform? One does not wear a discharge emblem on a uniform while continuing to serve

in active duty.

The right shoulder would suggest prior service

now thats the thing - prior wartime service right side patches regulations did not materialize until mid 40's, my guess now would be that someone added that OA patch there much later...

I am Thinking about removing it now.... hmmm

Agree...dual patches are often seen on same sleeve(left) for WW1...

I have seen the Air service prop patch on blue on the right but not a 3rd Army....stanger things have happened I guess.

If I pulled it out of a family estate thats been untouched thats one thing but its another if you can get any solid chain of custody.

50/50 coin toss....real or real enuff. :unsure:

I bet this could be a situation where the veteran wore this uniform for WW2 era parades and put his "combat patch" on his right sleeve to imitate what the regulations changed to during WW2.

I bet this could be a situation where the veteran wore this uniform for WW2 era parades and put his "combat patch" on his right sleeve to imitate what the regulations changed to during WW2.

That could be it and it did cross my mind. This Big Red One patch looks more like a interwar patch ? Am I right ?

That is exactly what I was thinking. He could have had the Third Army patch lying around from occupation duties and decided to sew it on. The stitching looks similar to that on the discharge chevron.