Armor Ike Jacket

hink441

Skysoldier80

Very neat Jacket. If would be neat to find the original owner, then you could try to find an original ribbon bar for it.

Ah, M&G, ( Mike and Gill)knew both of the brothers, one a 29th ID Veteran. Did a woman or guy sell it to you? Depending, one may tell you if it was a walk in, check the phone book may have/ had relatives in Ghent? Then it may have “ been in the back” for who knows how many years..Nice Ike.

Ah, M&G, ( Mike and Gill)knew both of the brothers, one a 29th ID Veteran. Did a woman or guy sell it to you? Depending, one may tell you if it was a walk in, check the phone book may have/ had relatives in Ghent? Then it may have been in the back for who knows how many years..Nice Ike.

Yes indeed M&G. Really like those folks, they have treated me right for a long time. When I bought this jacket both Larry and Laura (Brother and Sister) were present.

Chris

In 1942 Patton and his staff worked up the invasion of North Africa in Norfolk, so maybe there is a connection with that. (Know you said it was dated 1944.)

This in my estimation was something worn past VE Day, by an officer who prior to becoming a Staff Officer or assigned to some unit within the Third Army's Army level Troop Units was either a Separate Tank Battalion C.O. or an Armored Group C.O. this by virtue of the Armored Forces Combat Patch. It very well could be one not worn WWII, but in the late 40s, when Third Army was back in the states, here we just first guessed as a post VE Day Occupation worn one.

The fact that there is a combat patch on the jacket makes it a post VE Day jacket as the decision to allow a patch denoting "Former Wartime Unit" wasn't made until that time. Additionally, just because he was wearing an Armored Force SSI, doesn't mean that he was branched armor. There were LOTS of armored field artillery battalions as well as other support assets that were there too.

my two cents,

Allan