Friday Afternoon Canteen Cover 1952

Mr.Jerry

As I have been playing "build-a-bear" with all of our canteens/cups/covers trying to make sets, I came across this gem and after thinking I had lost my ability to snap a cover closed, I realized that someone must have been asleep at the wheel back in 1952. The one stud is way out of place, and there was even a small black spacing dot to tell you where to put it!

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

dan_the_hun84

Its always cracked me up when collectors and reenactors (the latte especially) wig out over tiny, or in some cases noticeable flaws or idiosyncrasies in original gear and draw the " they never would have done that" gun- this stuff was made in the millions by contractors who likely did other things than produce military gear to a general set of guidelines....sometimes weird stuff happened-

phantomfixer

looks like a mint ...never used cover...maybe the error was caught and they worker took it home?...or if it reached a supply point, the supply troop set it aside...

I have one or two of the M1910 marked covers made in 52...I like em...even without the third nip/mislocated second one

Rare left hander rigger airborne cover.... :lol:

Coming soon to an ebay listing near you!

Very cool Mr. Jerry. Does it close with a canteen inside? I guess not.

I really enjoy 1950s gear, I have a neat 1950s canteen set where there hanger is very off its marked and on the rear on the canteen you can see the outline of where the proper position is. It's still functions as a canteen cover should and both snaps are correctly located!