What am I missing?

z19

The Rooster

Front seam swivel bail… airborne liner but judging by the chinstrap it wasn't always with this helmet

$200.00 Bucks ? Tops??

Thats crazy!!!

The Rooster

Is it the liner that makes it worth more than $200.00 ?

Because I picked up 4 front seam Schluters and a 3 front seam McCords 2 of them fixed bail and I didn't pay more than 90.00 bucks for any of them.

The liner looks airborne but it looks like it was paired with any old front seam shell.

Otherwise I'd think the chin strap would conform better tightly to the shell with out all those other seam and bend marks. If the liner had been with the shell for decades… Which I kinds doubt.

Once I found out Schlueter has the circular crimp marks on the seam, Ive been able to find a bunch of them that apparently some people

dont recognize the value. They can tell you its a front seam but not the maker.. Some of those are without liners and some have them. Thats why Im thinking no more than $200.00 taking into account the liner.

I have to add that Ive been collecting helmets for about 2 months…. But I can see already that darn few helmets and liners that are for sale on ebay, have been together for decades. From what I can tell, I think most people, the vast majority selling helmets on ebay, get a good liner and pair it with a good shell. Doesn't mean they've been paired for decades.

Thats what I think about this one.

From what I can see the shell has the correct para straps which in itself is a $100-200 shell alone. There is a lack of pics but I dont see to much wrong with the liner, although the yokes are heavily faked. Ive had para helmets in the same condition I dont know why your saying the liner doesnt belong. Para helmets used post war did not take near the abuse of the WW2 ones. Ive had maybe 10 KW ones with liners in the same shape as this. Just because a liner has sat in a shell for decades does not mean it will always show. I own a Hawley helmet that has been untouched and came out of a trunk and shows zero use at all. It belonged to a nurse, not all helmets show wear in the same ways. I dont think this is some juiced up airborne helmet. I think the dealer just offered to consign it which they usually do. And the seller just wants way too much for what they have.

Nickman983

Yea, the airborne liner is where most of the value in this helmet would be (not that it's worth nearly as much as they're asking). As for what you mentioned about Schlueter helmets, the swivle bail helmets are really about the same in terms of value as McCord helmets. It's the fixed bail Schlueters that are really worth any more than their McCord counterparts

The Rooster

From what I can see the shell has the correct para straps which in itself is a $100-200 shell alone. There is a lack of pics but I dont see to much wrong with the liner, although the yokes are heavily faked. Ive had para helmets in the same condition I dont know why your saying the liner doesnt belong. Para helmets used post war did not take near the abuse of the WW2 ones. Ive had maybe 10 KW ones with liners in the same shape as this. Just because a liner has sat in a shell for decades does not mean it will always show. I own a Hawley helmet that has been untouched and came out of a trunk and shows zero use at all. It belonged to a nurse, not all helmets show wear in the same ways. I dont think this is some juiced up airborne helmet. I think the dealer just offered to consign it which they usually do. And the seller just wants way too much for what they have.

Im not saying it does not belong. I really do not know.. Im new at helmets.

What makes those OD sewn on chin wraps on the shell, airborne straps? They look like regular OD

Chin straps.

The Rooster

Im not saying it does not belong. I really do not know.. Im new at helmets.

My comment about the liner chin strap not belonging with the shell, meaning it looks too loose and like its taken off some other liner/// Or the liner came from some other shell. If it had always been with that shell. It would be tighter and not have all those bend marks. Thats whats making me think someone paired the liner with any old front seam.

What makes those OD sewn on chin wraps on the shell, airborne straps? They look like regular OD

Chin straps. Im asking because I don't recognize anything dif about them from reg sewn on straps.

Airborne helmets have an extra piece of cloth that connects the steel helmet and the liner. They also have two yokes which can be khaki or dark green which is not uncommon. These yokes hold the chincup. As the the liner strap I see no problem with that, Im sure even then most guys didnt wear theirs just tight. Ive seen plenty of guys use that strap to hold their helmet on.

Yes, that is what connection the steel helmet to the liner. That makes the shell a jump helmet and not just a regular M1