• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gearup1940

gearup1940
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 234,877
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:45 PM

Hello,  I would greatly appreciate any info on this 1898 Army War with Spain medal,  No599 . Thanks, John.fullsizeoutput_15ba.jpeg

#2 USMCR79

USMCR79
  • Members
    • Member ID: 248
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

No 599 issued January 10, 1908 to Capt. Henry C. Whitehead 10th Cav.

Henry Charles Whitehead

PLACE OF BIRTH: Hemphill, Texas HOME OF RECORD: Hemphill, Texas

Henry Whitehead graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, Class of 1896. He retired as a U.S. Army Brigadier General.

AWARDS BY DATE OF ACTION: 1 of 2
AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING World War I Service: Army Air Service GENERAL ORDERS:

War Department, General Orders No. 59 (1919)

CITATION:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Army Distinguished Service Medal to Colonel (Signal Corps) Henry Charles Whitehead, United States Army Air Service, for exceptionally meritorious and distinguished services to the Government of the United States, in a duty of great responsibility during World War I. During the period of organization of the American Expeditionary Forces, Colonel Whitehead rendered service of a superior order in the planning and the organization of the Air Service. As Chief of Staff, Air Service, he displayed sound judgment and great ability in solving the many problems with which he was confronted. Throughout the entire duration of the war his high professional attainments and untiring zeal have materially promoted the efficiency of the Air Service.

Bill

Edited by USMCR79, 15 May 2019 - 05:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users