326th AEB + 101st AB DUI's ...or 'When is a WWII DUI not a WWII DUI?'

Glidertrooper

Glidertrooper

So I would like to show off a couple of DUI's I have been lucky enough to add to my collection, but also start some conversation and perhaps learn a little in the process.

When it comes to WWII badges, be they DUI's or to a certain extent qualification wings, from much research on this forum and other study I am labouring under the impression the following is a basic 'rule of thumb' so to speak:

Screw-back = Pre WWII

Pin-back = WWII

Clutch-back = Late WWII or Post War

Now the following 326th Airborne Engineer Battalion (AEB) DUI some months ago appeared and failed to sell on eBay (it isn't mine). The same pattern is also pictured on page 392 of Volume 3 of the Heroes In Our Midst book series, which states it is circa 1950's and no DUI was worn by the 326th during WWII.

post-166956-0-16502000-1557791341.jpg post-166956-0-11823200-1557791350.jpg

It is hallmarked 'GEMSCO AGO G2'. I am under the impression that numbered badge markings like that 'G2' came in Post War, which would correspond with the DUI being circa 1950's - by why has it got a pin-back with egg type roller catch if it is a Post War DUI?? Surely it would make more sense for it to be Clutch-Back??

Cont.

Glidertrooper

Now the following DUI is from my collection:

post-166956-0-85764600-1557791529.jpg post-166956-0-49662000-1557791600.jpg

It was sold as a Post War DUI and is hallmarked either 'IE' or more likely '1E' (upside down above the screw in the reverse image), which would again correspond with the Post War number markings. But why is this a Screw-back?? If it were not for the hallmark, would it not make more sense for this to be a Pre WWII DUI? Again surely this should be a Clutch-back as a Post War DUI?

Cont.

Glidertrooper

Finally this DUI is also from my collection:

post-166956-0-00249500-1557792057.jpg post-166956-0-16431600-1557792132.jpg

Given the above dichotomy around Post War DUI attachments, my biggest question is what have I got here?? Pre WWII DUI? Post War collector's badge? Fantasy piece?

Keen to hear opinions, particularly from the resident old-timer collectors of Airborne military.

Cheers......John

The first crest is 326 Engr POST WAR Gemsco G2, pin backs were used in the 1950's as well as clutch backs, clutch backs became more prevalent in the 1960's.

I sold a similar 101st crest, maybe it was that one. POST WAR.

Nostrum Est is the motto for the 326 Engr Bn, if it measures 29x25mm, then it conforms to the listing in the asmic Engineer catalog. PRE WAR.

If you are seriously interested in crests, I would suggest purchasing a few of the Asmic Distinctive insignia catalogs, for extremely detailed data on crests.

Glidertrooper

matmil - good to see you here and thank you for the reply. Yes, I think that 101st DUI did come from you and I am actually one of your repeat customers!!

My 326th DUI is indeed exactly the dimensions you have given, so I'm pleased to learn I have a nice pre-war example.

Thanks for the advice on ASMIC. I have invested in a few other books to help with my collecting, but that's a really good steer, so I will do that too.

Cheers......John