a Small Box Respirator Bag used by a soldier of the AEF?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I believe this 7 digit number is too long for a British Regimental number, but it is correct for an AEF Service Number, is this right?

post-153751-0-77764200-1557683888.jpg

post-153751-0-74338100-1557683865.jpg

post-153751-0-79485700-1557683895_thumb.jpg

Any Idea what this is?

I am trying to find this soldier, any help or tips on where to look is appreciated.

I have found a US army Bulletin from 26 Jan 1918 which lists a "J. A. Whitaker" as the Chaplain for the "302d Mechanical Repairs Shop Regiment" which I believe is the Mechanical Repairs Shop Unit 302 which was part of the AEF. Could a Chaplain be a Private? and did Mechanical Repairs Shop Unit 302 use Small Box Respirators?

Here you go.

post-5941-0-92870000-1557851064_thumb.jpg

He was in the 30th Division, which initially served with the British in the north (they were issued British Enfields, Helmets and gas masks).

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I bought this exactly 101 years to the day from when he started his overseas service. Weird

The AEF used the SBR as they did the Brodie helmets.I have a British mask ad bag with the 27th If Div patch painted on the bag.

The Brit sets dont seem as easy to find as the US produced ones.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I read History of the 118th Infantry American Expeditionary Force, France written by Lt. Sam J. Royal of the 118th Regiment in 1919, here are some excerpts I found interesting.

"the entire [30th] Division was transferred to the 2nd British Army, at that time operating in Belgium in conjunction with the remnant of the Belgian Army. This transfer necessitated a complete change in the system of supplies and transportation, which was brought about by the untiring efforts of Captain Brown, Regimental Supply Officer, and his able assistants. The entire [118th] Regiment was furnished British equipment, both ordnance and quartermaster, but retained the American uniforms, packs and an unlimited optimism in the final outcome of the big fuss. As a special dispensation, the American troops were allowed to have coffee instead of tea."

"the [118th] Regiment had been given a tour of duty in the front line trenches in front of Ypres. The battalions and auxiliary units were sent forward, where they relieved some of the companies of the 49th British Division. The battalions took over in rotation, placing two companies in the front line in cooperation with the remaining British units. Each battalion occupied the forward area for eight days. It was so quiet on this sector that it was hard to realize that some of the bloodiest battles of the war had been fought there in the past. Such names as Hell Fire Corner, Shrapnel Corner and Menin Gate have become famous throughout the world. It was here that the Canadians made their famous stand against the first gas attack."

I bet James Whitaker was thinking of his respirator here, and keeping it close on his chest.

"The personnel of the One Pound Cannon and Pioneer Platoons suffered such severe losses from a gas attack that it was not possible for them to accomplish any results with the remnants that survived. The Quarry was subjected to intense shell fire, including a continuous use of gas shells that made it an extremely unhealthy spot."

"the 1st and 3rd Battalions [i Co was a part of 3rd Battalion] delivered the attack on the night of September 26th, supported by the Machine Gun Company. The attack was a frontal one, thus exposing the Battalions to machine gun fire from concealed outposts. After an intense artillery barrage lasting ten minutes the Battalions moved forward for a distance of five hundred yards on a twelve hundred yard front. This operation, the first of its kind ever undertaken by the Regiment, terminated in a complete success. Within less than two hours, the 3rd Battalion reported all objectives taken and the line consolidated. The 1st Battalion, on the left, however, experienced more difficulty on account of an enfilading machine gun fire from the left, D Company in particular suffering heavily. In spite of the strong opposition, this Battalion gained and held its objectives. It is to this attack we refer when we say that the 118th Infantry was the first American regiment to make an attack against the Hindenburg Line. The Regiment does not claim the honor of having broken through the main system of defense, but it does claim to have been the first Regiment to deliver a successful attack against the outpost line of the Hindenburg System."

On the battle of Canbarri:

"During the fighting of the morning [of October 8th] the Regiment had suffered very severe casualties. Company I had met with fierce resistance from the very beginning of the attack, suffering many casualties, losing, among others, Lieutenant W. A. Mulloy, who was killed early in the morning. Lieutenant T. H. Smith was also killed while acting as Regimental liaison officer, and later in the day Lieutenant W. A. Hudgens, Adjutant of the 3rd Battalion, and Lieutenant W. C. Stevenson of A Company were killed. In addition to those killed, several officers were wounded severely. A battalion of the 120th Infantry that had been sent forward to reinforce the 118th was caught in a barrage on the edge of Brancourt and suffered very heavily, one platoon losing practically every man in it."

"The casualties in the Regiment were very heavy, as evidenced by the following figures, which include the operation of September : Killed, 14 officers, 188 men, which does not include those who died in the hospitals of wounds, and 1,678 other casualties [out of around 3,600], which includes wounded, gassed and evacuated for other causes."

James Whitaker was lucky then to not receive any wounds.

Thanks for posting the excerpts from the book! The Brits these guys went into the line with were seasoned veterans, I'm sure they viewed these young Americans as cannon fodder (and I'm sure quite a few were, being so full of piss and vinegar).

Ron, would love to see your 27th bag - I have a soft spot for the 27th. Is it named?