Green Combat Leader stripe

GIl Sanow

On the USAF transition Ike jacket: First of all the mans rank was Sergeant, NOT Sr. Airman. (That rank title didn't appear till the 1980's. ) The colored tabs worn on the shoulder straps were probably a marking for Tech. schools, or even for drill instructors who wore similar markings in those days. Like Patches said above, they could have been for an honor guard or something like that. Back n those days bases and units often had special ways to designate certain things and finding any kind of regs to authorize such cases are hard to come by.

• 1 year later...

post-34986-0-03895400-1511316474_thumb.jpgpost-34986-0-98010000-1511316507_thumb.jpg

A Officer of the 2nd Armd Div in 45 (Anyone know who he is? can't seem to make out his Grade.), with his loops as tabs on his Tanker Jacket, sewn right across the shoulders for lack of shoulder loops.

Got a tip from my mostly retired confidential informant :D.

Yes he's Brigadier General Sidney R. Hinds CO of CCB 2nd Armd Div.

http://apps.westpointaog.org/Memorials/Article/6791/

Oh and his rank insignia on the shoulders, now that we know he's a Brig Gen, if we look closely, he's wearing cloth stars, probably started life as those embroidered type on Khaki twill and were trimmed to the contours of the star.

• 2 weeks later...

NCOs assigned to the U.S. Military Academy Preparatory School sometime in the late 60s/early 70s, so this would be before the regs were changed to no longer limit the leadership tabs to those serving in combat positions. I can't find the DUI on TIOH website but the school's website shows this DUI. I think it's the same one they are wearing.

post-1761-0-04788800-1513029329_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-76521000-1513029436.jpg

post-1761-0-08082000-1513029468_thumb.jpg

Retired Army Noncom

BTW, in a somewhat related bit here, the army recently decided that ALL NCO's and officers will now wear the Leadership tabs, as all MOS's are considered 'combat leaders' in the current war.

They were being worn by both officers and NCO's in a leadership position while I was in from 1965 to 1985....after 85 I don't know if or when they disappeared. I wore them from Feb 68 to Apr 85.

• 3 weeks later...

More Infantry blue tabs worn by a drill instructor at the Infantry School

Holy Moly, Sean where did you get this image?, he was one of my Company Drill Sergeants at Ft Benning Jan-April 1980. Poe if I'm not mistaken, I recall he was a grunt in an Air Cav unit in Nam, this exact same photo would appear in our yearbook, but in Black and White, and I don't have the book anymore, basically gave up trying to find it.

They were being worn by both officers and NCO's in a leadership position while I was in from 1965 to 1985....after 85 I don't know if or when they disappeared. I wore them from Feb 68 to Apr 85.

We continued wearing green leadership tabs well into the 90s - mostly on the vertical single epaulette on the front of the gore-tex field jacket with rank insignia.

Retired Army Noncom

A officer of the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment West Germany circa 1962-63. Curiously he wears no DIs on his Green Loops

post-34986-0-67510600-1514958471.jpg

Is that a GCM on that young officer's chest? If it is, he's prior-enlisted. New OCS Lt newly assigned to the 11th ACR? Maybe?

Is that a GCM on that young officer's chest? If it is, he's prior-enlisted. New OCS Lt newly assigned to the 11th ACR? Maybe?

Yes that's what I would think, as this is before the reintroduction of the National Defense Service Medal.

post-1963-1313571353.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure what this Transportation Corps officer is wearing. At first I just thought it was light colored leadership tabs but then I realized it was a longer slide on piece worn on his eppaulettes, kind of like the slide on rank worn currently worn on the Class B uniform.

post-1761-0-57828900-1520430738.jpg

I'm not sure what this Transportation Corps officer is wearing. At first I just thought it was light colored leadership tabs but then I realized it was a longer slide on piece worn on his epaulets, kind of like the slide on rank worn currently worn on the Class B uniform

He's wearing the Trans Center & School patch, (seeing a smigen of it). plus the Trans Center & School DI

So I suspect it's some kind of school related loop in the colors of the TC.

Retired Army Noncom

He's wearing the Trans Center & School patch, (seeing a smigen of it). plus the Trans Center & School DI

So I suspect it's some kind of school related loop in the colors of the TC.

I agree, the regulation clearly stated "Green Leadership Tabs". In MOS schools they created their own. As a Drill Sgt for over 5 years, we did not wear any tabs. The Green Leadership tabs were for TO&E units only. When Ft Campbell closed down BCT, I was transferred to Ft Wood and a Drill in Cook School, I was there for four months before I finally got myself back on BCT duty. All I did was pass out mail, worse assignment I had. The Bn had created their own badge to wear on the pocket. I refused to wear it because it was not an approved device to wear on the uniform, plus it cost $5.00 and not as item of issue if it was approved. I was not a popular DS with the SGM and this helped my departure back to a real Drill Sgt assignment.

• 5 weeks later...