• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Glidertrooper

Glidertrooper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 166,956
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:43 AM

Patches are not my collecting comfort zone, so I would be interested to hear opinions on what era this one is original to please?

Unfortunately I don't have access to a UV light at the moment, but can say the patch is floppy rather than stiff and has previously been stitched to something.

It came paired with a WWII armored DUI that was the true focus of my attention, so whatever this patch turns out to be will be a bonus from my point of view.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers......John

resized_Armored Patch 1.JPG

resized_Armored Patch 2.JPG

#2 ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme
  • Members
    • Member ID: 122,868
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:47 AM

Its a post wwii era patch due to color of border. I think late fifties when they went to that green....used well into Vietnam with that backing.

My phone is playing tricks me with the coloring. Doesnt appear to be od green.

Edited by ocsfollowme, 11 May 2019 - 11:49 AM.

#3 Glidertrooper

Glidertrooper
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:20 PM

Thank you for the reply OCS. I have to admit I didn't do a very good job on lighting for the picture, so the colour may be off and I might need to post another picture in clear daylight.

I assume for this to have been a WWII patch there would have needed to be more white return threads to the reverse?

#4 Indexred

Indexred
  • Members
    • Member ID: 105,245
  • 466 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

What unit was the DI? Pinback?

#5 Glidertrooper

Glidertrooper
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:24 PM

DUI is a sterling marked pin back 741st Tank Battalion one that I am fairly confident is original WWII (I will post pictures in another thread soon).

Seller I got them from appears to throw patches and pins together, some of which seem to not match eras, at least to my knowledge. Hence my question mark around the era of this patch.

#6 Glidertrooper

Glidertrooper
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:26 PM

Here is the DUI the patch came paired with. Don't know if the lighting is better in this image for the colours of the patch.

resized_fullsizeoutput_8b6.jpeg

#7 ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme
  • Members
    • Member ID: 122,868
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

WWII patch!

#8 z19

z19
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,896
  • 361 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:30 PM

Forget about the patch, that's a real good DI

#9 Story

Story
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 19,512
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:26 AM

The "blank" armored forces patch was worn by GIs assigned to a separate tank battalion. Very, very few of the WW II separate WW II tank battalions wore patches with numbers on them; same with post war. However, many WW II GIs wore blank armored forces patches to which numbers were added, which is a collector's minefield.

from post 2

http://www.usmilitar...division-patch/

Edited by Story, 14 May 2019 - 09:30 AM.

#10 Indexred

Indexred
  • Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:38 PM

The DI is indeed a good one, 741st Tank Battalion. These two items look like ones that sold together on eBay earlier this year.

#11 Glidertrooper

Glidertrooper
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:26 PM

Thank you all for the comments and information gentlemen. Yes, these were together and picked up on eBay. I was confident the DUI was likely to be good, but don't have a lot of knowledge around patches, so if it turned out to be WWII as well that was a bonus.

Thank you Story, you answered my next question about these being worn by the independent tank battalions. I saw one of these recently with the number '70' drawn / written on it rather than stitched. Was that a common way for tank crews to show their tank battalion on their patches?

#12 Story

Story
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 19,512
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:58 PM

Thank you Story, you answered my next question about these being worn by the independent tank battalions. I saw one of these recently with the number '70' drawn / written on it rather than stitched. Was that a common way for tank crews to show their tank battalion on their patches?

You're more than welcome, but all I did was bird-dog a previous thread and post. The guy to ask is 

tredhed2

#13 Indexred

Indexred
  • Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:26 PM

Thank you all for the comments and information gentlemen. Yes, these were together and picked up on eBay. I was confident the DUI was likely to be good, but don't have a lot of knowledge around patches, so if it turned out to be WWII as well that was a bonus.

Your pinback DI marked “Sterling” is the only known variant worn by 741st personnel during WWII. There is a postwar version that is clutch back.  In 1949, the unit was redesignated as the 396th Heavy Tank Battalion and assigned to the 96th Infantry Division. The battalion separated from the division in 1952 and was redesignated as the 741st, later being assigned to the 11th Armored Division. Anyhow, you DI is a good WWII piece, and the price you paid back in February is fair market value. As “Story,” mentioned independent tank battalions did indeed wear the Armored Force SSI without numerals, and the 741st was no exception (though the battalion did have two SSI variants with numerals).

#14 Glidertrooper

Glidertrooper
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:36 AM

Indexred - thank you for the reply and information, its great to have the DUI validated as a WWII piece and I am super pleased to have acquired it. I will be showing it off properly in another post, with a couple of other neat pieces soon.

Cheers......John

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users