NYNG 10 Years of Service Medal # Research Help

TheMariner

TheMariner

There used to be a great website for searching the rolls of these but it does not seem to exist anymore. None the less if someone has the rolls and would be willing to look up #5718 that would be great! If I recall correctly the number are available for the 10 years up into the high 8000s so this one should be searchable! If someone knows of a website that still work and could send me the link that would be awesome also!

Long and Faithful Service Medal, fourth class, #5718 went to Col Walter C. Montgomery, Medical Corps Division. Issued in 1919.

TheMariner

Wow not a bad find at all! He was a decorated military surgeon!

Army Distinguished Service Medal AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING World War I Service: Army Rank: Lieutenant Colonel Division: 27th Division, American Expeditionary Forces GENERAL ORDERS:

War Department, General Orders No. 22 (1920)

CITATION:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Army Distinguished Service Medal to Lieutenant Colonel (Medical Corps) Walter C. Montgomery, United States Army, for exceptionally meritorious and distinguished services to the Government of the United States, in a duty of great responsibility during World War I. Lieutenant Colonel Montgomery served with marked distinction as Division Surgeon of the 27th Division. When confronted with a shortage of personnel, he displayed marked initiative and resourcefulness in organizing additional sanitary personnel. During the action along the Hindenburg line, 25 and 30 September 1918, by his high professional attainments, sound judgment, and loyal devotion to duty he so conducted the personnel at his disposal as to provide successfully for the evacuation of 4,000 casualties in four days.

Records also indict he was award the 15 Year NYNG Service medal!

Medalman90

Good Find Mariner! I was watching that one as well. Didn’t realize he was awarded the DSM.

If the website you are referring to is the NYNG Museum Website, it’s been back up and running for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMariner

Good Find Mariner! I was watching that one as well. Didn’t realize he was awarded the DSM.

If the website you are referring to is the NYNG Museum Website, it’s been back up and running for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually had no idea when I bought it! I just took a shot in the dark as the price was about average for them! No the site was Militarywired. Much better site then the state site but that site seems to have went dark! Someone just sent me the link to the state one!