• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 12,450 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

I didnt change anything that I know of. I was told it just started for me on Nov 1st.

That's really odd. I live in WA and Ebay has been automatically collecting the tax on items I have sold and remitting it. It has never been sent to me directly.  I never see it show up in the amount I receive.

Kurt

Edited by KASTAUFFER, 14 November 2019 - 02:31 PM.

#102 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:52 PM

If eBay makes selling so complicated with this crazy tax collection at all different percentages who’s going to want to do it?

eBay didn't create the tax changes, the government did. Every venue will be switching to it for states requiring online sales tax

#103 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 12,450 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:30 PM

I just sold an item today on Ebay and this is what is happening.  Before 11/1 Ebay never sent the Tax to the seller. Now The following is occurring if you use PAYPAL. 

The Gross Amount of the Transaction sent to your PAYPAL account is the Selling Price + Shipping + TAX.

PAYPAL immediately  AUTO DEDUCTS the PAYPAL FEE and the TAX and sends the tax back to EBAY.

You don't ever have the tax in your balance, but it does get sent to your account.

That would mean the GROSS AMOUNT ( Selling price +  Shipping + TAX ) is what would be on the 1099 at the end of the year.

Kurt

Edited by KASTAUFFER, 16 November 2019 - 01:30 PM.

#104 BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,207
  • 7,195 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:06 PM

I just purchased a 19th century Catholic confessional for the church I work at. It's was over 4500 bucks. eBay automatically took out the taxes(315.00), since the church is tax exempt we don't pay tax. I thought it would be a freaking big deal to get a refund. Easier then I thought. Just had to send in a form. But eBay doesn't tell you that they are taking the taxes. The invoice looked like the seller charged the tax. Nope eBay took the taxes she didn't even know about it. Seems not right to make it look like the seller collected the tax my 2 cents. Oh yeah this confessional was a pain in the rump to assemble. Posted Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#105 Thor996

Thor996
  • Members
    • Member ID: 30,395
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:02 PM

I just purchased a 19th century Catholic confessional for the church I work at. It's was over 4500 bucks. eBay automatically took out the taxes(315.00), since the church is tax exempt we don't pay tax. I thought it would be a freaking big deal to get a refund. Easier then I thought. Just had to send in a form. But eBay doesn't tell you that they are taking the taxes. The invoice looked like the seller charged the tax. Nope eBay took the taxes she didn't even know about it. Seems not right to make it look like the seller collected the tax my 2 cents. Oh yeah this confessional was a pain in the rump to assemble. e7026f866d48eff2c0685b1502e1af2a.jpg

that's really nice.

#106 BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,207
  • 7,195 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:07 PM

that's really nice.

It was really fun putting it together thanks

#107 Wake1941

Wake1941
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,850
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 04:09 PM

Its stupid the way they collect the tax from PayPal, PayPal makes out better than anyone since they can get more service fee money since the percent is taken out of gross cost+tax

Edited by Wake1941, 16 November 2019 - 04:09 PM.

#108 WorldWarPatches

WorldWarPatches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 119,983
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:18 AM

Here is a question that I haven't seen addressed.  Does eBay charge a fee on the taxes that are collected in the same way that the final fee, including shipping, is charged to a seller? Is there a monetary benefit for eBay to collect the taxes or is it an operating expense to them?

Every state gives the Tax Collector a percentage of the tax collected, as high as 3% depending on the state, eBay is going to make big $$$$$ off this.

#109 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader
  • Members
    • Member ID: 15,934
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:52 AM

We all hate eBay for many reasons but for some items I have to use it even if sale for me winds up little profit or last few years a loss after eBay and PP fees. But, Remember They created their web sites and can charge and regulate as they want. 

MY SUGGESTION: Sell on and support the Forum related to the item. ie: U.S. - CANADIAN - SAMURAI SWORD, CARTRIDGES / RELOADERS , etc etc

Most all the Collectable, Historical and Military Items have a Forum.   Richard

#110 TheMariner

TheMariner
  • Members
    • Member ID: 160,496
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:45 AM

I just sold an item today on Ebay and this is what is happening.  Before 11/1 Ebay never sent the Tax to the seller. Now The following is occurring if you use PAYPAL. 

The Gross Amount of the Transaction sent to your PAYPAL account is the Selling Price + Shipping + TAX.

PAYPAL immediately  AUTO DEDUCTS the PAYPAL FEE and the TAX and sends the tax back to EBAY.

You don't ever have the tax in your balance, but it does get sent to your account.

That would mean the GROSS AMOUNT ( Selling price +  Shipping + TAX ) is what would be on the 1099 at the end of the year.

Kurt

Kurt, they always had a tax section on the 1099! Hopefully this tax collected will just appear under the tax section so when your taxes are done it will just be already on there making It much easier to do the taxes instead of going transaction for transaction to find the numbers!  

#111 z19

z19
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,896
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:00 PM

Hmmm...all this makes me realize how pissed off the "original" Tea Party must have been when they were throwing all the good Kings tea into the harbor. We are freakin' taxed to death and it's only going to get worse my friends...only going to get worse. 23+ trillion in debt with billions being added each day. I guess they think taxing a $5 patch on Ebay is going to fix everything!!  :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users