Photo

Old lithograph or painting info...War of 1812?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Squeaker

Squeaker
  • Members
    • Member ID: 113,106
  • 522 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:50 PM

I posted this on the world militaria forum thinking it may be foreign. I think its actually a US Army staff officer after doing some more research. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone recognize the individual? I went back to the flea market and confirmed it is NOT a painting. I think its a lithograph or something else. The surface texture is the same across the entire picture. Any information that I could get would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Images

• 5F6867C9-6B65-4F74-ABE7-4B3767A9B238.jpeg
  • 418FD3BA-DECB-4D0A-9F49-33B93977D5E4.jpeg

#2 MAW

MAW
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,778
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:46 PM

It might be a chromolithograph.... Not sure who he is though.

Chromolithographs are usually of famous people.... Sherman, grant, Washington, etc....

Edited by MAW, 30 April 2019 - 05:46 PM.

#3 Bluehawk

Bluehawk
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,976
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:07 PM

...The surface texture is the same across the entire picture. Any information that I could get would be appreciated. 

Do you mean to say that the surface is uniformly flat across the entire surface? 

Photo chromolithograph has been mentioned, and it could possibly be a stone lithograph, or even a watercolor...

I'd love a chance to have seen that piece with a magnifying glass/jeweler's loupe!

#4 Squeaker

Squeaker
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:12 AM

Do you mean to say that the surface is uniformly flat across the entire surface? 

Photo chromolithograph has been mentioned, and it could possibly be a stone lithograph, or even a watercolor...

I'd love a chance to have seen that piece with a magnifying glass/jeweler's loupe!

It is all one level surface as opposed to an actual painting which you cant feel the highs and lows of the paint. The surface does have like a pebbling type look/feeling to it. Ill try to post some better pictures in a day or two. If you look closely by the right eye there is a repair or some sort of haphazard touch up.

#5 normaninvasion

normaninvasion
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,253
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

The portrait is John Biddle by Thomas Sully https://en.wikipedia...gan_politician)

#6 Squeaker

Squeaker
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:58 PM

The portrait is John Biddle by Thomas Sully https://en.wikipedia...gan_politician)

Awesome, and thank you much! I would never have figured this out on my own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users