WWII 8th Marines -Tarawa to Okinawa

ww2marine

Hey guys, I wanted to share this Marine's story. This group belonged to Arthur Farris from Fayette, KY. When the war broke out Farris was working as a cashier at his local Kroger grocery store. He joined up on August 28, 1942. Following boot camp he would serve as a rifleman with a secondary MOS of Light machine gunner. In December 1942 he found himself on the way to New Zealand to meet the unit he would spend the rest of the war with- C/1/8.

Farris and 1/8 would join the slaughter at Tarawa at Red Beach 2 in the early morning hours of D+1, November 21st 1943. His buddies and he would wade 500 yards ashore through the reef enduring intense mortar and machine gun crossfire. Farris was one of the lucky ones not to be struck down in the water where 1/8 took 300 casualties. The survivors were then ordered to attack westward in support of the 2nd Marines and neutralize the Beaches between Red 2 and Red 1. The beaches were filled with many pillboxes, bunkers and blockhouses. It was there on D+2 Farris was hit, taking shrapnel in both legs.

Farris would survive Tarawa and go to fight at Saipan surviving a brutal beach landing at Green beach, June 15, 1944. He would fight through the swamps around lake Susupe and fight side by side with the 29th Marines up the steep slopes of Mt. Tapotchau. They were eventually sent into reserves on July 4th.

Farris's third engagement came at Tinian where he landed on July 24 at White Beach 1 in support of the 24th Marines. He fought a grueling campaign and after the island was declared "secure" 1/8 was ordered to mop up duty. They wouldn't join the rest of the 8th Marines on Saipan until early January 1945.

On April 1st the Second division participated in several faints off southern Okinawa to draw the Japanese south and take tension off the real landing beaches. By April 14th they had returned to Saipan as Tenth Army reserve to minimize casualties from increasing Kamikaze attacks.

By late May the situation on Okinawa had become precarious and the 8th Marines along with supporting units were called to assist in the fight. From the 9th of June to the 15th, Farris and his men participated in the assault and capture of Iheya and Aguni Shima off Okinawa. On June 16th the 8th Marines landed on Okinawa relieving the 7th Marines. They helped secure the rest of southern Okinawa and then engaged in mop-up operations.

Following the Japanese surrender Farris was sent stateside where he was discharged on November 16,1945. He married and eventually married and moved to Wythe, VA where he worked in farming. He passed away on November 9th, 1995.

post-5600-0-58550000-1556569303.jpg

Some of Farris's other items to include the battle pennants you occasionally see with USMC groups. Looks like the PX was out of Saipan. I'm always humbled when a group has a casket flag.

post-5600-0-89607800-1556569487_thumb.jpg

Braclet he had made. The sides are engraved "New Caledonia" and the other "New Zealand" I suspect he had the made prior to the Tarawa invasion.

post-5600-0-90667000-1556569573.jpg

manayunkman

Very cool group with great history.

Farming is an unusual occupation.

I lived in Central PA for 30 years, a very large farming community.

Only once did I meet a farmer who served in WW2.

And he got into farming after the war.

Most guys who were of fighting age and were already working on a farm got a deferment.

Kurt Barickman

Most guys who were of fighting age and were already working on a farm got a deferment.

Come to Minnesota and Iowa; there were lots of them here. Although my Father got a farm deferment not by his own choice but by his parents insistence.

Kurt

PS, love that grouping Kevin.

Most guys who were of fighting age and were already working on a farm got a defermFa

Farris wasint a farmer before the war and therfore didnt get a deferment

Raidercollector

Great group. Nice research. You have both the green and blue uniforms. Are they both named to Him. ? Where the ribbons original ? It's kind of rare to fine both uniforms. hell of a action wading in off shore being shot at.Glad to see another Marine uniform post. Has not been many in the last 6 months.

Nick

ww2marine

Great group. Nice research. You have both the green and blue uniforms. Are they both named to Him. ? Where the ribbons original ? It's kind of rare to fine both uniforms. hell of a action wading in off shore being shot at.Glad to see another Marine uniform post. Has not been many in the last 6 months.

Nick

The Greens are well named to him in both armpits. Farris's Blue blouse, like the vast majority of private purchase blues are not. The ribbon bars were added by me per his file.

• 10 months later...