ww2 buffalo solider grouping

jeeplover

I can not get the uploader to ever work

here is the link if someone could put the pictures on this site for me it would be nice

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1090087-ww2-buffalo-solider-grouping&p=9710461#post9710461

I went to a estate sale seen a nice complete koeran war uniform so I bought it. I was curious who was this guy? I googled the name and to my surprise I found his obit.

if you look at the pictures at the bottom you can see he was in the 2nd cavalry division. another picture shows him with 3 battle stars with a tank division shoulder patch. then at some point he went to signal core school. he had a 25 year long military career that started in ww2. all he had was Korean war uniforms I got every thing with his laundry number 2 green dress uniforms all the patches tore off trench coat winter coat and 2 side caps

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/thornton-co/joseph-e-bowen-8090362

I have sent off for the records but can only get a limited amount.

why is his enlistment listed in 1946? the photos at the bottom of the obit clearly show he was in ww2 even his head stone says it.

could it be because he was drafted and 46 was the first time he voluntarily enlisted.

why is his enlistment listed in 1946? the photos at the bottom of the obit clearly show he was in ww2 even his head stone says it.

could it be because he was drafted and 46 was the first time he voluntarily enlisted.

It may not be his original enlistment. This is a common quirk in the enlistment records.

Those are nice photos of him. It would be interesting to get and see his records and what kind of medals/awards he received.

How does the Air Force enlisted service cap shown fit in with this group? Every thing else relates to a career in the Army.

Just curious.

Good question...I was kind of wondering about that myself. Perhaps it belonged to another relative of his. We'll see what jeeplover says.

Buffalo soldier items are under appreciated in my humble opinion. Nice items, it would be an honor to be a caretaker of such a grouping.

Marty

I am not sure. it has his name in it . I got a sea bag of his that says strategic air command. I did not take pictures of the sweat bands of the hats because they are falling out. I will try and get pictures of the sea bag, there was other stuff there but none of it had his name. i am going to talk to a cureator friend of mine to see the best way to restor his other 2 uniforms.

How does the Air Force enlisted service cap shown fit in with this group? Every thing else relates to a career in the Army.

Just curious.

even his discharge papers are army.

Posted Today, 12:31 PM

Buffalo soldier items are under appreciated in my humble opinion. Nice items, it would be an honor to be a caretaker of such a grouping.

Marty

+1