UNREAL! WOW!

SKIPH

Hey Gang! Was watching a real nice RCC Blade-dated M3 for a couple of days. Checked it this morning, it was at $180, just now for fun checked again. The bid is now at $1325, with 5+ days to go. Evidently the bidder wants it really bad. Ebay # 183788112549. I have never seen that type of increase,-EVER! If anyone can post the ad it would be appreciated by all. Check it out! We're witnessing a "high stakes" bidding war. Look at the bidding history. SKIP

Whenever the bidder is private you are bidding against the seller.

Where did you hear this nonsense. Ive had tons of buyers with private feedback. Didnt mean I bought from myself

warcollect1942

I called e bay . I tried to be a private bidder. They said all bidders are private since they scramble the name.

When it says private bidder it is the seller running up the bid. It is a nice knife. Look at the bidding and

you can tell what is going on. It will run up until it meets his reserve.

Its not the seller, you can be a private bidder Ive dealt with dozens. Theres no reason any seller would bid the item up over 1k especially early In the auction, it scares away other potential bidders

So far it looks like there are two bidders who want the thing real bad. IMHO, somebody is likely to stop raising their maximum bid real soon and either resort to one of the auto bid services at the end of the auction or just decide they really don't want it that much.

My curiosity being up now I got to check this one out when it closes to see if there are any other(s) waiting in the wings to try and snipe it. At this point it's down to the more serious folks.

Remember we don't see buyer's maximum bids until someone else goes over it.

Please see the following:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/private-listings?id=4161&st=2&pos=1&query=Private%20listings&intent=Private%20bidder&context=9014_BUYER

I think in the past the Buyer could set themselves up for this, but now it looks like it the Seller who sets it up.

Been that way for a few years now...seller chooses to set it to private, and all bidders on that auction are private. Ever since eBay started scrambling user names anyway, private bidders are a bit of moot points, other than to hide feedback totals and the scrambled codes. There are people out there who track other members by feedback to see what they're buying

warcollect1942

Private listings and private bidder are two different things. Nobody can tell me how to become a private bidder.

Would a real bidder run the price up 5 days before the end of the auction? The seller AKA private bidder is running up the price.

Just info I picked up as a seller........... VERY VERY simple to run up your own auction. If you use "private bidder" stuff, as someone mentioned regarding early bidding, you can scare people away. HOWEVER, you can have as many ebay accounts as you can think up names. Put your auction on one account, bid it up on two others. Trust me, it CAN be done, and before anyone asks, no I don't do it but I DO have a couple of accounts - MY reason, I don't want people who buy what I'm selling to se where/who I buy it from or for how much.

PS _ That Care Tag Camillus sold for $1200

Art

In regards to dskjl's question. Price wise, it's hard to price. It's a very nice, not well used RCC blade-dated. The M8 scabbard is from the pictures, mint, but not correct for that particular M3, it should be an L&C M6 for total correctness. (Bill Walter's book) You will note there is little to no scabbard wear on the blade. The blade-dated RCC is seen less available on ebay than V42s. Not sure why, assuming it was due to low production numbers, combat losses etc. Generally I see just maybe 2-5 per year, where as you see a whole lot more V42s, which due to even lower numbers around 3600 I can't understand. Although I think a lot of V42 owners get them to turn a quick profit, or are pressured by a spouse as to why they paid so much. To me, the RCC is probably worth about $1500-$1600, but that depends on how much the buyer needs it, wants to pay, and how deep his pockets are. A bidding war could skyrocket the cost. I could be way off. I have seen a mint on go for over $2000 a couple of years ago. I bought mine around 13 years ago, with correct M6, for $625, after trying to talk the seller down from a much higher price for 3 years. Right after I bought mine, saw one on ebay in similar condition sell for $1800. I think it just boils down to supply and demand. Just my opinion. SKIP

SKIP,

How do you find these on ebay? Every time I search for M3s I rarely find these great ones. Usually if I find them its because theyre listed in the something similar you might like section.

Here's the search, title I use "original US WW2 collectible edged weapons". That's where I find stuff. Also use same title "original US WW1 collectible edged weapons". Not a specific site, but pulls up everything I look for. Nothing magic or special, just the right combination of words. SKIP

As a seller you can set the the bidders as "private".

In the last month I have seen more M-3's and m6 bards then I can remember.

As a side note I know some dealers around that part of New England who have been shill bidding their stuff for years. It can and is done on a regular basis.

Ken

In regards to dskjl's question. Price wise, it's hard to price. It's a very nice, not well used RCC blade-dated. The M8 scabbard is from the pictures, mint, but not correct for that particular M3, it should be an L&C M6 for total correctness. (Bill Walter's book) You will note there is little to no scabbard wear on the blade. The blade-dated RCC is seen less available on ebay than V42s. Not sure why, assuming it was due to low production numbers, combat losses etc. Generally I see just maybe 2-5 per year, where as you see a whole lot more V42s, which due to even lower numbers around 3600 I can't understand. Although I think a lot of V42 owners get them to turn a quick profit, or are pressured by a spouse as to why they paid so much. To me, the RCC is probably worth about $1500-$1600, but that depends on how much the buyer needs it, wants to pay, and how deep his pockets are. A bidding war could skyrocket the cost. I could be way off. I have seen a mint on go for over $2000 a couple of years ago. I bought mine around 13 years ago, with correct M6, for $625, after trying to talk the seller down from a much higher price for 3 years. Right after I bought mine, saw one on ebay in similar condition sell for $1800. I think it just boils down to supply and demand. Just my opinion. SKIP

Thank you, i have one and it sits in a box with the rest of my knives. That box is getting, harder and harder to ignore every time i see something like this on the forum. I appreciate the information, time and expertise you so generously shared.

Are we looking at the same knife ? I see about maybe 30% blade finish . When these Robis have full finish they shine like a diamond In a goats rump . A rare knife , YES , no question about It . Say what you will about Ebay , but It tends to set current market value to some degree . JMO