Help With A WW I Era Collar Disc

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Despite the fact that this man is wearing WW I era military clothing, due to his unknown (to me) collar disc, I suspect that he is not a member of either the U.S. Army or the National Guard. I suppose there is a possibility that the disc he is wearing could be a state Home Guard insignia.

After looking at the following photos, can anybody ID this particular collar disc?

By the way, other than informing us that it was manufactured in the USA, there is no information on the reverse of this postcard.

Thanks for looking ... World War I Nerd

post-5143-0-59562800-1556373089_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Close up of the head and shoulders, as well as the as yet unidentified collar disc.

Any guesses?

post-5143-0-79703300-1556373192.jpg

post-5143-0-56869700-1556373208_thumb.jpg

everforward

I'm thinking possibly a civilian support organization, like YMCA or similar..? I'll admit I'm guessing, but....

Looks like medical to me as well, hard to tell but the cord also looks like it is 2 colors which would fit the bill for medical, (Burgundy and white)

everforward

I am agreeing with the others now as well. It could very well be a caduceus on the disk, you just can't make out the wings well enough in the photo.

world war I nerd

Boy, at first that sure didn't look like a medical collar disc ... All I saw was that arrowhead shape.

Now, yep, everybody's right. That is a medical collar disc.

Thanks to all for informing me of what I should have known in the beginning!

• 1 year later...

Pattern of 1919. Each branch of service had its own. There is a contemporary drawing of these equipment marking disks somewhere here on the forum. Try the Search function.,