Cousin of Captain Frank Whitehead, 67th Co., 1/5, 4th Brigade

GALEM

I am a newbee and have joined this forum in the hopes of learning more about my cousin, Captain Frank WHITEHEAD (frequent skipper of 67th Company, 1/5, 4th Brigade, 2ID). As I have read, Captain Whitehead participated in the 1/5's four major battles along the Western Front and received citations for his bravery and leadership. He was wounded at Belleau Wood (Hill 142) and three more times at Blanc Mont Ridge. He retired from the Corps in 1946 and passed in 1950. He and his wife, Eleanor, are resting at ANC. I find him mentioned in about a dozen books but am interested in any of his personal effects/artifacts, notes or writings, post-WWI activities, and the like.

My grandfather was Sergeant Major of 1/5 after Belleau Wood through the Armistice. (Prior to that he was in 51st Co. and a battalion runner.) He was commissioned just after the Armistice and assigned to 67th Company as a Platoon Commander. PM me for more info.

Whitehead is a very well known dare I say famous WWI Marine to those who study that time frame and the Corps. You will have more than eneough to read for sure. You will want to pick up Kevin Seldons book “Among the ranks of the carrion men”. Volume one is out with two coming. Your cousin was mentioned often in volume one and no doubt that will continue in volume two. He was a very highly regarded skipper! Kevin is a forum member here and will likely weigh in I hope. If you buy the book “decorated Marines of the Fourth Brigade in World War I” by George B. Clark, you will see your cousins medals photographed on the cover. Welcome to the forum! Kevin

Whitehead is a very well known dare I say famous WWI Marine to those who study that time frame and the Corps. You will have more than eneough to read for sure. You will want to pick up Kevin Seldons book “Among the ranks of the carrion men”. Volume one is out with two coming. Your cousin was mentioned often in volume one and no doubt that will continue in volume two. He was a very highly regarded skipper! Kevin is a forum member here and will likely weigh in I hope. If you buy the book “decorated Marines of the Fourth Brigade in World War I” by George B. Clark, you will see your cousins medals photographed on the cover. Welcome to the forum! Kevin

Agree - Kevin's book is must for anyone with an interest in WWI Marines. Semper Fi - Bobgee

Kevin, thanks for your informative response. I am currently reading "Carrion Men" and look forward to the second installment. I am familiar with Clark's book on decorations and will get it. Gale

Agree - Kevin's book is must for anyone with an interest in WWI Marines. Semper Fi - Bobgee

Thanks for the warm welcome, Bobgee.

In fact, I'm reading Kevin's "Carrion Men" now. It's my seventh book isince early March, with six more classics patiently standing by. The first book that got me started was "Doing My Bit Over There" (the excellent diary of Everard Bullis), and my second was "George W. Hamilton, USMC" (a very well-written and well-researched book by Mark Mortensen). Through comms with the authors, I was introduced to the 4th Brigade (Marine)/2ID historical research group, and the rest is (as they say) history.

I only wish that I had begun my study/research a lot sooner, because it is so consuming, fascinating and rewarding - especially since I have that connection with Captain Frank Whitehead. Cheers & SF, Gale

Gale, you and I share a similar library. I recently finished “I will hold” by James Nelson and would recommend it as well. The biography on Hamilton was one of my favorites, another incredible leader in WWI. His passing as an aviator in the early twenties was a real loss to the Corps. Who knows what indelible mark he would have left if he would have survived. I have a DSC NC grouping to a Lt. In the 17th company, 1st battalion 5th Marines who served for Hamilton when he was assigned to the 49th at Belleau woods. It was exciting for me to see Hamilton’s signature all over the records I ordered. I have also enjoyed some of the biographies on John W. Thomason Jr., a Lieutenant and then Captain in the 1/5 in WWI and NC winner. Col, John W. Thomason by Turner and Lone Star Marine by Willock are my two favorites. Try Devil Dogs by Clark and Through the Wheat by Alexander and Simmons as well. So much to read an so little time! Kevin

Kevin, thanks for the reading tips. I will order those books you recommend.

After finishing "Carrion Men", "Through the Wheat" and "Devil Dogs" are next up.

Ah, the brave 17th that stormed the Essen Hook! What an honored outfit! And what an honor to have those decorations.

A few quick questions:

(1) How/where does one "order records"? From NARA, or elsewhere?

(2) Do you happen to know where Captain Whitehead's decorations are, who owns them, are they available for sale, etc.? I read on the inside cover of Clark's "4th Brigade Decorations" that those photographed are Whitehead's and are courtesy of Ronald E. Fischer, so I presume he might have them. Do you know (of) Mr. Fischer?

(3) Do you know why Whitehead's medals were selected for the book cover? Was it because they are so well preserved, or is there another reason?

Thanks, cheers & SF,

Gale

Bill,

Thanks for the reference. Yes, I have seen that illustration and am curious as to why Captain Whitehead's NC would have been selected. Do you happen to know why his was selected? Was it because he received a "new version" of the NC, or was there another reason?

Thanks, cheers & SF,

Gale

Hi Gale, The Lt. In my grouping played a prominent role in the attack on the Essen Hook on October 3rd 1918, he was wounded by machine gun fire and remained in the field on the attack against St. Etienne on. October 4th earning the DSC (and later the NC and PH). I am not sure where Whiteheads medals currently reside. Who knows why they were chosen for the cover of Clark’s book, might be he had easy access to them. Kevin

• 1 year later...

Gale --

Good day! I collect personalized vintage wristwatches (mostly military), and I recently acquired a watch that was presented to Col Frank Whitehead in 1941 as the Commandant of the Army Industrial College (Please see the attached photos).   I thoroughly research all of the watches I have, and I have collected a great deal of information about your cousin; this is how I came across your thread on the Military Forum.

My email is:  [email protected]

I look forward to hearing from you

Whitehead - Overview.pdf Whitehead - AIC Information.pdf Whitehead - NY Times Obituary.pdf Whitehead -- WW1 Article and Medals.pdf

• 2 months later...

As if our forum's members don't already know, this forum is INCREDIBLE

Thanks to US Militaria Forum, a total stranger contacted me to tell me that he had just acquired my cousin’s (BGen. Frank Whitehead’s) 80-year-old watch.  The story of how I got it is told in the pages at:  https://www.timecapsule-watch.com/copy-of-whitehead-1-biography-1

The watch was presented to Col. Whitehead in 1941 as he stepped down as Commandant of The Army Industrial College.  He wore it until he died in July 1950.  His widow then gave it to Whitehead’s Marine nurse (Russ McCaig) who had cared for the General before he passed away at Bethesda’s Navy Med.  Russ kept it for 50 years and then entrusted its care to his Marine friend (Jeff Stephan) when he was dying.  Jeff did likewise for another 20 years.  Bob Stokes acquired it earlier this year, contacted me (via this forum) as Frank’s relative, had it fully restored and sent it to me to pass on to my Family – an amazing act of kindness.  Bob does this as a hobby, connecting previous owners’ watches with their Families.  Some of his other watch stories are found at https://www.timecapsule-watch.com/

whitehead - montage with photo and watch.jpg

What a fantastic story and incredible piece of history. So glad it came back to the family. Thank you for sharing, and cudo’s to Bob, what an incredible gift he provided. 

It was my pleasure to return the watch to Col. Whitehead to his cousin and historian, Gale Heslop.  As a long-time collector of vintage personalized wristwatches, "You never actually own a watch.....you merely look after it for the next generation.....".  I hope you will visit my Time Capsule website, www.TimeCapsule-Watch.com, and read the stories of other WW1 and WW2 watches that I have researched -- and I have a dozen military watches that I still need to document. ..

If any of you have personalized military watches, I would be happy to do some free research for you....

Thanks!

Bob