Junkyard find

usoverlord

This is the last thing I expected to find in a junkyard. Exactly as found, I did clean the primer area for photographic help.

post-105153-0-02412200-1556116390_thumb.jpgpost-105153-0-73919000-1556116516_thumb.jpgpost-105153-0-34142600-1556116540_thumb.jpg

I think it's a 105mm round. Dec 1944 I believe was "battle of the bulge" vintage also. I had trouble with the pictures earlier. Will post others later

That is cool....I have a 75mm Sherman practice round that was salvaged from a scrap metal heap....I purchased it from a guy who's son picked it up....The head is a 75mm APC round and the casing is a WW1 converted one.....Holes are drilled in the casing, so that it can't be loaded.....Bodes

M14 casings are from a 105 howitzer. It is not a tank shell. In the ordnance world, a 105H is howitzer ( artillery ) and a 105G is a gun ( tank). The only mounted 105 howitzer I know of during WW2 was the M7 Priest, a self propelled ( tracked) artillery vehicle. Rare vehicles.

Here is an example of projo markings. 155G, not 155H, puzzling to most. No tanks fired the 155, it was bag loaded and has no case. It is a 1942 dated 155mm HE for the Long Tom cannon. The projo for your case would be lettered the same but have a "105H" marking.post-180924-0-72527800-1556150058_thumb.jpeg

Browninggunner688

Nice find. Wasn't the Sherman Jumbo armed with the 105mm M4 howitzer for close infantry support ?

Nick.

Yep. From Wiki: "M4(105) - Upgraded with 105mm M4 Howitzer, designed for infantry support and assault, sacrificing anti-armor capability. 47° glacis with large drivers' hatches."

post-32676-0-53919100-1556194190_thumb.jpg

M24 Chaffee

That’s really cool! Great that you found it! I wondered about what vehicle this was used with and thought maybe the M7 Priest but I forgot about the M4 howitzer. Interesting that the tanker actually thought to save it for himself.

Frank

Correct, even more interesting as internet sources state only 250 were produced. Very nice.....now keep your eyes open for a '44 marked 105 M1 HE projectile....very hard to find, ( hey, I was able to find a Long Tom 155 unexpectedly) but they are out there....I will keep my eyes open.

For a short time I was beginning to be increasingly disappointed with my junkyard find. Now not so much.

I really appreciate all the input. The knowledge/information on this site is surpassed only by the willingness to share. Thanks!

For a short time I was beginning to be increasingly disappointed with my junkyard find. Now not so much.

I really appreciate all the input. The knowledge/information on this site is surpassed only by the willingness to share. Thanks!

Start squirrel holing some cash for a matching projectile, we will find one. That case needs to be completed.

Well I've been inspired by the feedback here and fortunately for me, I took a business card from the salvage yard owner and spoke with him this AM. Apparently, he originally got the casing from a longtime friend who died about 3 or 4 yrs ago. He can't say for certain if he was the original owner or not, or if he was a WW2 vet. He was 87 when he passed away. And was army vet who served for 20 +/- years up through the Korean war. His name was Ronald Stone and is buried in Sierra Vista Arizona. He would have been 17 or 18 in 1944. Maybe that's the end of the story but it certainly adds a little.