WW1 Pigeon Unit Patches?

Eric Queen

Represented as part of a US WW1 pigeon unit grouping. Has anyone seen these before? I could be wrong but they don't seem like US insignia to me. French?

s-l1600 (2).jpg

I was going to say the blue material of the bottom one seems like it would go on a French tunic. The Bullion work is French for sure as well

The design of the pigeon is a little different from the standard French version I've seen before, but still believe these are both French. Wool colors were both used on French uniforms. Also, have seen French insignia worn on US uniforms, i.e. the tank corps.

littlewilly

These two patches are indeed French-made, and both appear on US uniforms. Pigeon companies were scattered around France and some had their insignia made for them by local tailors/seamstresses, so there will be variation. Most were issued directly from French stocks. They are not easy to find. I have collected WWI insignia for 48 years and, as a former pigeon fancier in my youth, I wish I had one. Came close once, but no cigar. MHJ

Damn.

This auction left me in the rear-view mirror at $455. I wasn't even in the same zip code as the winner. Hope someone here got this great grouping.
Jim