New member in North Alabama

sigman2

I'm 67 and new to this forum but have been collecting firearms and military gear all my life. My main interest is WWII era firearms and militaria. I guess this interest was spawned by my dad telling stories about his WWII experiences. He served with the 4th Marine Division from its inception in 1943 until his discharge October 31, 1945. Dad was in the 4th Pioneer Battalion and was among the first to land in all of their campaigns. Dad was on Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. We will be celebrating with Dad for his 95th birthday on April 30th... just 9 days from now.

Note the date of his discharge...

I had been searching for his M1 Rifle, #893999 for years. I was in contact with Camp Pendleton, Quantico, Lejeune and even the Pentagon. After a few false leads I was at a dead end. A few years later I began servicing the ceremonial rifles for our local VFW and AL. I was in contact with the Army Donations Group seeking some replacement parts. I mentioned Dad's rifle to the Chief of Donations and she did some research for me. Sadly, Dad;s rifle was destroyed in Anniston on October 31, 1995... the 50th anniversary of Dad's discharge.

I presently own twenty M1 rifles but would had gladly given all of them for Dad's.

Welcome to the forum and an early happy birthday to your father! I wonder why they would save the rifle all those years only to destroy it half a century later? Then again, maybe it was just meant to be seeing it fell on the 50th anniversary to the day.

Welcome, That sure would have been great to find your dad,s M1 rifle. I only have a 1956 IHC M1 rifle, Winchester carbine and 1903 spring field. Well are you near Florence AL.