Newbie asking for help with 88th Division PH 1945

PeteS

Hi,

although I only collect posthumous PH's to 8th USAAF and 15th USAAF I did buy a PH to a soldier about 15 - 20 years back. I got it because it has the original government cardboard postal packet with a label to Henry Rodriguez, 164 Pearl Street, Brooklyn, New York, and inside is the coffin case with a CIB and 2 PH's, both slot brooch, neither is named but one has a 258--- series number and there is also an original US Army change of address card filled out by Hendrick F Rodriguez 32397712 giving address 164 Pearl Street.

I only got around to researching it recently after I joined Fold3 and can see that he was born March 14 1921 in Manati, PR, he had served with 244 Coast Arty during 1940 and in WW2 he served with Co E, 351 Infantry, 88 Division (that is the same as on his address change card).

But I dont understand why he would have 2 PH's and neither of them is named because I see that he died April 24 1945, I guess that was when 88 Division crossed the River Po in Italy ?

Does this look as if it he was awarded a PH or 2 for being WIA earlier or does it suggest that somebody has removed the named Posthumous PH and replaced it with the other 2 ?

Thank you for any advice. Pete

post-154517-0-82017300-1555867054_thumb.jpg

unclegrumpy

Rodriguez is listed as KIA, so there would have been an engraved Purple Heart sent to a family member. You would have to do some further research to see if he had been previously wounded.

29-1331a.gif

unclegrumpy

Hendrick F Rodriguez enlisted in July of 1942...guessing he would have gotten overseas a year later...beyond the numbers just beyond the WWI & earlier only range that were issued at the beginning of the war with a reasonable percentage of the numbers recorded...all the other numbers...except in rare circumstances...were not in order, and were not recorded. That said, most of the WW II numbered medals were issued during war, but not exclusively so.

The end point here is he could have been issued the numbered medal...or not. If you wrote St Louis for his file...or better...likely less expensive...had a researcher pull it, you should be able to determine if he had been previously wounded.

The problem is there was likely a named medal in the mailing box that got swapped out. I think you have to consider that he might have had a family member that was also wounded, and over time, things got intermingled.

I would agree with what Cory is saying. Is the mailing box you have from the Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot, or the Kansas City Effects Bureau?

Kurt

Wow, that is amazing, thanks guys.

The box is War Departmernt, Phildelphia Quartermaster Depot, numbered, Registered, First Class Mail to Mr Henry Rodriguez, 164 Pearl Street, Brooklyn, New York. The CIB is marked Sterling in the centre of its bottom edge and has one pin broken off but still present with both round Sterling marked clips. His Notice of Change of Address is Army Form 204 a small brown post card dated June 10, 1943 addressed to his family at 164 Pearl Street and with all his details.

Would this suggest that this is his first PH ?

Thank you all

Thanks

What period would a 258--- series numbered PH have been awarded ?

Made in WW2 under a contract dated July 1st, 1942 by Rex Products.. Awarded from 1942 till probably the early Vietnam period.

Cheers

Herman