Difficult Situation - Plastic Model Collection

Indexred

Moderator Note: This issue has been resolved. However, the thread is still worth reading for those who might be faced with a similar issue. Plus the photos are pretty amazing showing the quality of work of this skilled model maker. gwb123

My father passed away last year and left behind a collection of plastic models. He was an award winning IPMS modeler who possessed great talent and loved to super-detail his creations. My sister and I are now in a quandary. How do we dispose of the collection? We cant find anybody locally who wants them, despite our efforts to give them away. Ive approached a couple air museums that are within driving distance of dads home, but neither have interest. We cant sell the models on eBay because theyre too delicate to ship, and therein lies a big problem with plastic modelsfragility. In desperation, Im wondering if anybody on the USMF has a viable solution or knows someone in the Ohio, Indiana, Michigan area who may have interest.

post-105245-0-80564200-1555850088_thumb.jpg

Have you ever thought of just keeping them and displaying them in your home? Looks like super nice momentos of your Dad.

Unfortunately I have no place to display them and neither does my sister. Weve kept a small number, but thats all we can handle. There are more models than those shown in these photos.

That is a serious problem: I see model collections once in a while at estate sales and there seems to be little buyer interest - maybe for one or two pieces but not for the bulk of the collection. Do you have a local Civil Air Patrol unit?

I gave some to the local Military Museum - No an Air Museum and they were happy to receive these.

Bill

Wonderful collection legacy, and a complex problem to preserve...

I wish I had the shelves and space to display them myself.

How about this idea... carefully box up (and label)l what is left over, and put them in deep storage if no or until some public museum or organization or family member/friend becomes interested enough to take charge?

An approximate location may be helpful.

Maybe a forum member who is traveling that is connected to a museum could help you out.

Just throwing that out there, Anything is possible.

Sooty I have no good solution to your problem, but can't pass by without giving my compliments to your Dad for his model making skills.

Rakkasan187

A local model train/remote control car/model shop here in town has a lot of the customer models on display and in cases at the checkout counter..

Not sure if you have a model railroad shop or some other type of hobby shop nearby.. You would be preserving your father's legacy if the shop would be willing to display/hang some of the models and it may also help boost an interest when folks go in and see the craftsmanship of a finished model kit..

Our local airport also has some cases with model planes displayed, all very similar to the ones your father has built.. They are rather difficult to move to someone else,, I would take them but it is not with the storyline of our museum,, (1st Armored Division, at Fort Bliss, Tx). We also have docents and volunteers who build tank and armored vehicle models for display at the museum but again the focus is on armor not aircraft..

Maybe a local Boy Scout troop that has a permanent building could display them? Model building is one of the many merit badges that support these type of hobbies for younger kids, maybe they could help you figure a solution??

Best of luck with your endeavor..

Leigh

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about contacting military museums outside of aviation museums. That’s a good idea, however, a USMF member in Michigan sent me PM, and he’s interested in the whole lot. Like Bob Hudson, I’ve seen plastic models at estate sales and at aviation museums, but seldom are these the work of a master modeler. That’s part of what has made this so difficult, knowing the hundreds of hours that went into researching and building these aircraft.

Here’s one more picture, a 1:32 scale model of a Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat from VF-17, “Jolly Rogers,” USS Hornet, February 1945

post-105245-0-64351400-1555876735_thumb.jpg

All good suggestions.

The local small airport here had a collection donated to them years ago.I use to always stop to view it when I was there.Even had a few WW2 aviation artifacts sprinkled in with the display.Im guessing most(airports) would either have to source display cabinets or get them donated.

Are there any persons in his modeling club that are local and would appreciate having a model built by him?

I wish you luck with your decision and hope someone will be able to enjoy them.They are really well done and his hard work and skills show it.

manayunkman

When I was a kid my parents took me to the New York Hall of Science.

They had a large collection of model planes by local builders.

That collection took me to the next level in model building.

Here's a photo of the 1:32 scale Fieseler Fi 156. My dad converted the out-of-the-box kit into the "med evac" version of the Storch.

post-105245-0-75513800-1555892290_thumb.jpg

Another suggestion is if there are any VFW's in the area. They might be interested in taking some of your models.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 2 weeks later...
GITom1944

That is a problem many modeler's and their heirs face. Your Dad enjoyed building them but I certainly understand your desire to not keep them. I've been downsizing my own collection in recent years. Whenever I find someone who wants them, I give them away. If you've already found someone who wants them that's where they belong. You may want to check with the local IPMS club. Perhaps they can arrange to offer these to other modelers. Good luck.

Tom

Skysoldier80

Try a local VFW/AMVETs/American Legion?

Local History Museum of your home town or major population center.

Local Airport?

Soon after I started this thread, "Manayunkman" replied and expressed interest in the whole collection. This past Saturday he and I met, and he packed up the collection for transport to his home in Michigan. Part of the collection may end up at the Michigan Heroes Museum, but that’s not definite. Anyhow, the USMF has proven to be a great resource for solving a problem that had confounded me for a year.

Here’s a photo of the models going in boxes on their way to a new home (or maybe homes).

post-105245-0-30928300-1557268918_thumb.jpg

Glad they found a good new home. Your Dad was a very talented modeler. His models deserve to be appreciated.

Good going to both of you fro working it out!

Mikie

I'm glad to hear this has a happy ending and that these great models and your dad's talents will continue to be appreciated