3 replies to this topic

#1 '42PEEP'sMotorpool

'42PEEP'sMotorpool
  • Members
    • Member ID: 201,389
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:53 PM

Hey everyone!

So I was taking apart my old knuckle seals on the G503, and was surprised to find a paper gasket (ok that I did expect to find, but definitely not the markings on it) with some old markings. Because of the way it was cut to fit the seal, I can't read the full name of the company that made it. I think it is probably from the 1940s, but wondered if the partial manufacturer name rang a bell? Never saw a marking on these before.

Thanks for any ideas what the manufacturer's name might be!

#2 '42PEEP'sMotorpool

'42PEEP'sMotorpool
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

Hi everyone!

So it turns out it was the partial name of "Vellumoid", which has been in the business of making gasket material for a long time (and still is!). I'm familiar with the company, but sure didn't expect it on the G503 and the partial letters threw me off. Cool to find that out.

#3 phantomfixer

phantomfixer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 155,518
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:34 PM

Dude that is cool...small time capsule...love finding old stuff like that when wrenching

#4 '42PEEP'sMotorpool

'42PEEP'sMotorpool
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

Dude that is cool...small time capsule...love finding old stuff like that when wrenching

Hey, thanks! I like finding little details like that too. Usually a gasket is torn, or oil soaked, but that one came apart and revealed such a crisp clear sight that I almost couldn't believe it!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users