WWII Mediterranean Theater Altered Boots / Service Shoes

capajo02

Hello all,

I vaguely remember reading an article, post, website, etc. all about the alteration of Type II and Type III service shoes by Italian cobblers in Italy. There were even some photos included of Italians - and possibly GIs - working on boots. The specific modification was adding an extra piece of leather with eyelets or speed lacers to the top of the boot to eliminate the need leggings. I guess these were used by soldiers who had not yet received the "double buckle" combat boot.

Can anyone help me find this info again or direct me to a different source with similar information? After many internet searches, I've come up empty. Maybe someone reading this has a pair of the boots in question that they can share. The attached photo is a famous image from 36th ID soldiers at Velletri, and the soldier in the foreground (Foley) with the M1903A4 is wearing a pair of modified service shoes like the ones I am trying to find more info on...

Thanks,
John

post-9280-0-15884900-1555724460_thumb.jpg

Lucky 7th Armored

Hi John,

I just acquired a grouping to a local 30th ID Vet that came with a pair of boots which I believe are what you are talking about. I did not even notice the boots until someone pointed them out to me. What is weird is he was a Bulge replacement troop so beats me how he ended up with them. He did wear a size 12 so maybe that was all they could find in his size at the time. Hopefully this is what youâre looking for Iâm just basing this off of what I was told.

171ba8c01acea1196177711412923079.jpgd9034a8ebe0870e6102cc1af2f1b67b0.jpgcf4822e5e85485f7b924242ecad178fe.jpg0d18ac14214d8acd0dac7240fa162cdf.jpg

Let me know if you need more photos of any specific location.

Haydn