Displaying helmets

I am not a helmet guy but have a few....and more than a few period brass ordnance cases....matching up a WW1 75mm brass casing and a doughboy helmet saves some space and adds interest.post-180924-0-29606000-1555716487_thumb.jpeg

Skysoldier80

That display looks really good. Never thought of using trench art. Normally I just buy a cheap Styrofoam head and wrap pantyhose around them for my headgear. It really looks nice. Might try that myself.

That display looks really good. Never thought of using trench art. Normally I just buy a cheap Styrofoam head and wrap pantyhose around them for my headgear. It really looks nice. Might try that myself.

I am an Ordnance guy. I have quite a few dated cases laying around ( some worth quite a bit) in hopes of filling them with a correct projectile. I display at Am Legion, CAF, airshows and events. I do let people handle and wear the few helmets I have, most find it interesting once picking up the helmet, they read the shell casing is dated from the same time period. In fact, that WW1 doughboy with the 1918 head stamped 75mm brought a ridiculous high offer, I declined of course. This 105mm M1 tank gun casing is holding a common Kevlar helmet. The large caliber brass gun ( not howitzer) casings are very heavy . The WW1 75mm casing I have 1/4 filled with lead balls which makes it very stable.post-180924-0-57289500-1555973926_thumb.jpeg

Skysoldier80

What a great idea. It definitely brings history alive when I can handle the piece.

I am an Ordnance guy. I have quite a few dated cases laying around ( some worth quite a bit) in hopes of filling them with a correct projectile. I display at Am Legion, CAF, airshows and events. I do let people handle and wear the few helmets I have, most find it interesting once picking up the helmet, they read the shell casing is dated from the same time period. In fact, that WW1 doughboy with the 1918 head stamped 75mm brought a ridiculous high offer, I declined of course. This 105mm M1 tank gun casing is holding a common Kevlar helmet. The large caliber brass gun ( not howitzer) casings are very heavy . The WW1 75mm casing I have 1/4 filled with lead balls which makes it very stable.attachicon.gif image.jpeg

What a great idea. It definitely brings history alive when I can handle the piece.

Exactly, the MG belt of 7.62 hanging from my old M1C helmet( not actually mine, I went to a pawn shop and bought one when I ETS'd and turned in my own helmet) on the howitzer case is also head stamped from the Vietnam era, it took me awhile to find 68 or 72 LC stamped brass and I loaded them up empty. Means little to most, but a lot to those in the collector world, and vets. As with this website, the details are everything.

Thats pretty similar on how I store my kevlar and vest. It sits atop a 5" naval gun shell

Nice, very nice. I am sure you are aware of the value of a 5" case, what's the headstamp date ?

Nice, very nice. I am sure you are aware of the value of a 5" case, what's the headstamp date ?

mine has a mil std of nov 2011

i almost forgot about this one. It's the helmet that was in the launcher control room on my first ship atop the first 3" shell i fired

post-209461-0-96676300-1555983234.jpg

I like the idea, it goes well with the helmet, and looks better than having numerous foam display heads

another thing that works well is old antique wooden textile spools that come in various sizes, also makes a nice hat stand, pretty common at swap meets / antique shops

sometimes a display head looks distracting , just an old artillery shell or wood spool is all you need.

I usually use a folded towel or bubble wrap on top of the spool to help support the liner from getting damage from the weight.

post-1885-0-38265600-1556214671_thumb.jpg

i almost forgot about this one. It's the helmet that was in the launcher control room on my first ship atop the first 3" shell i fired

I like it. Is the case brass or laquered steel? Interesting to know the headstamp date, many post war 3" cases are found in steel, usually 50's dated, then back to brass.

They're both green painted steel, current issue. I've taken neverdull to one of my 3" casings though, and it'll remove the paint and polish the steel nice. Our VT airburst shells came in unpolished bare steel too.

Thats pretty similar on how I store my kevlar and vest. It sits atop a 5" naval gun shell

Interesting lid for sure, never seen that setup. Is that your 'daily driver' so to speak?

• 2 years later...

I recently got these cheap steel helmet stands off Amazon that are listed for motorcycle helmets, they’re subtle and hold the weight fine. Here’s them after I put them up today! 

292078AD-9917-41E3-868E-021A92159089.jpeg

56C35D45-80A1-46CE-AD4B-93670F2C7EDF.jpeg

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 4/22/2019 at 2:26 PM, 644td said:

Scott(Bugme) sells some real good stands.

Marty

Well scratch my ears and call me Sparky, it only took me four years to notice your post Marty!

20181228_112117.jpg

20200323_101423.jpg

20200322_172107.jpg