Provost guard , drummer , Andersonville survivor M. Cooley

skypilot6670

A very rare combination of marriages. All these pieces came from different places. The Provost guard badge was on display at a show and a lady passing by said she had a photo of that soldier and sold it to the dealer. I purchased the photo badge group and going back to my tables I kept thinking I had a corps badge for his unit A quick look around and their it was , a 27th Mass Corps Badge (9th and18th Corps) The Cooley family made drums beginning 1855 as Noble and Cooley and still makes drums .

Cooley and many of the 27th were captured at Drewrys Bluff and sent to Andersonville. In his pension application another soldier writes of being with Cooley and taking care of each other. One of the very few first person accounts Ive seen on Andersonville. Mikepost-137056-0-73144000-1555631779_thumb.jpegpost-137056-0-43636300-1555631858_thumb.jpeg

skypilot6670

I forgot to mention that Cooley is wearing the provost guard badge in the CDV. These badges seem to have been manufactured at Fortress Monroe Va.

Wonderful and historic pair of medals. Beautiful engraving. The photograph makes it even better. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dick