77 years ago today (April 18, 1942)

Eric Queen

ocsfollowme

Amazing! #6 would be a photo colorization dream! Thanks for posting a significant part of America's rich history, Eric!

Thanks to all who commented. Happy to hear that some people enjoyed seeing this.

I thought today would be a good day to show it.

Bill, great story. Very cool.

Agree with Kurt and Alan regarding the absence of shoes. They are wearing outside slippers. Very typical in China, Japan, etc.

I have a couple minutes at work and thought I would show another piece. The envelope to the above letter. Notice that it was censored and signed by Doolittle himself.

More to come.

HP 59 x.jpg

Eric

Here is your envelopes cousin! It is from Doolittle's flight engineer on the raid.

KurtIMG_6225.PNG

Indeed. Leonard is in a couple of the photos I posted.

Thanks for sharing this. I would bet the letter is the exact same content as the one I posted (or very close)

May 17, 1942

His second letter home. This time from Calcutta. Interesting that the Army Censor left the hotel letterhead remain.

He tells his parents he is OK but still cannot discuss what he has been doing. Told them to expect a letter from General Doolittle.

HP 61 x.jpg

Pg. 2

Typical kid talking about how he misses the sporting news from the states.

HP 63 x.jpg

Pg. 3

Tells them of the awarding of the DFC (which I would guess was communicated to the verbally by Doolittle. The award of the medal itself would come the following month)

HP 62 x.jpg

May 21, 1942.

The letterhead of the next letter is censored. Now he tells his parents that he was with Doolittle on the raid but cannot give details.

HP 67 x.jpg

Even though there are, for obvious reasons, no details of the mission contained with in these letters I have them to be a very interesting personal record of a man who took part in it. You can see the personal side.

After returning home he wrote down his experiences (training, the mission, etc.) in a journal. Another very interesting first hand account from one individuals perspective.

This is, of course, just the first page.

More to come regarding the awarding of the DFC, etc.

HP 21 x.jpg

May 19, 1942

I am not sure exactly when (date) the public in general was made aware of the raid. I would guess soon after it occurred.

Here is a statement from Doolittle released by the War Department on May 19th

MAY 19.jpg

June 12, 1942

I found this to be interesting. Relating to information security addressed to the Raiders returning to the US.

JUN 12.jpg

June 15, 1942

Doolittle sends out a follow up letter regarding information security to the officers and men who were with him at "Shangri- La"

JUN 15.jpg

June 27, 1942

Awarding (presentation) of the DFC at Bolling Field, Washington DC

JUN 27.jpg