77 years ago today (April 18, 1942)

Eric Queen

Sixteen (16) B25 aircraft began taking off from the deck of the USS Hornet. Plane number one (1) with Doolittle as pilot and Dick Cole as co-pilot took off first at 08:20 am. Due to being spotted by a Japanese ship they were forced to take off 4 hours (and 170 nautical miles) ahead of schedule.

Plane number one lead the way with H.A.P. as the navigator. Here he is as a young Lt.

HP 1 x.jpg

On leave before the mission with Dick Cole (at Dick Cole's house in Ohio)

As most people know, Dick Cole was the last surviving Raider and just recently passed away at 103 years old.

HP 41 x.jpg

Large banner (about 50 inches long) welcoming the American Pilots. Dated and signed by local dignitaries.

HP 20 x.jpg

The first letter he was allowed to write to his parents after the mission telling them he was OK. I am guessing that all the Raiders wrote exactly the same thing (were told what to write) for security reasons.

HP 60 x.jpg

Have to get ready for work. Will show more tonight or tomorrow if any interest. Haven't shown the best piece yet.

Eric,

The depth of quality of your collection is amazing! Thank you for the outstanding photos and commentary on the pieces that you've shown. This is simply one of the finest groupings that I have ever had the honor of viewing here on the forum. I cannot wait to see the "best part" of this outstanding group.

Manayunkman, I would assume that the reason that the airmen in the photo in post #6 are in their stocking feet is that they were all inside a home when the suggestion was made to go have a photo taken. It was customary in China, Japan and other Oriental countries to remove your shoes before entering a person's home. Of course the is speculation, but I wouldn't expect that their shoes had been taken from them.

Allan

I wonder why in post 6 several of them are missing their shoes.

Looks like they are wearing slippers.

Eric- Fabulous group. I loved seeing this.

Kurt

Eric - My Father In Law who passed away a few weeks ago was stationed at Patrick AFB in the early 1950's and P0tter was his Boss - My Father in Law said he was a great guy and even extended my Father In Laws enlistment by 2 weeks so that my wife would be born at the Base Hospital (At 0 cost) vs a Civilian Hospital. I have his signed order somewhere in our family papers.

He would have enjoyed your presentation

Bill

Kurt Barickman

Yes, very historic and impressive. Thanks much for sharing such a fabulous grouping here.

Kurt