WWI & WWII USMC Combat Artist Grouping

Pip

Thanks WAHOOMAN , it is the best Diary I have ever found for sure. I was hoping for maybe a little detail but when I went through it , the content blew me away, I mean mentioning the flag on Suribachi and then some of the small details I had no idea about like Helicopters on IWO, I had no idea that was a thing!

Thank rd12. I was kind of upset because I missed all the other auctions where most of the artwork was sold, looking at those I did notice it was all prewar and postwar art. To find the art he drew on Iwo Jima and mentions in the Diary laying in a random folder... when I said I almost passed out , it was close. I had to sit down because I did not really believe it. I do not collect Medals or Uniforms or anything like that so for a paper collector this lot is pretty much the holy grail for me. I am not sure I will ever find something like it again.

• 5 months later...

I have been watching the auction house that auction the Grant Powers items off to see if anything else popped up and it did. A majority of it was non military and there was a bunch of artwork of his which I did not get. I tried to win the personal and military lots which I won all but one with some military artwork. I just got tired of the extended 1 dollar increases every 5 minutes in a never ending auction that went on for hours. There was not much military stuff but here it is. It relates to him , his wife who was a WAVES Commander, his FIL who was a LT Commander in the NAVY and her brother who died on the USS EDSALL. There are also a bunch of personal photos/papers I am not posting.

Only handful of WWII items of his were in the auction. This water color of Iwo Jima

post-85644-0-37951100-1570127082_thumb.jpg