My New Jump Jacket From The Forum

John4022

manayunkman

I'm sure that if you look through Normandy photos you'll see a range of flags .

Here is one that came from a 17th AB vet who cut the flag from an arm band and painted the edges green.

post-51189-0-17287100-1555630790_thumb.jpg

Thanks! Do you know if the armband is correct for the Normandy invasion? Im a patch guy and this is my first time assembling a uniform. I have a lot to learn!

Sew on flags would be correct but mainly only for the 82nd

As it isn't present anymore it could always be considered as being a replacement jacket. It doesn't necessarily have to be the 101st. But I catch your drift.

Nice jacket can't wait to see the finnished product!

Im also very keen to find out about the previous energy from laundry number. Does anyone have the 101st roster they could reference?

Beautiful flags! I obviously down want to sew on a flag. As stated, Ill check out some photos and match a setup as close as possible.

63 Recon, Im also excited about the laundry number but Im not holding my breath. Its possible that the jacket was stripped and given to someone outside the 101st.

I had a member tell me George W. Dallas (38533361) was in the 321st GFAB but another individual told me he wasnt at Normandy. So far he is the only match to a 101st soldier.

So there are no matches for a surname starting with an H for your jacket?

As of yet, no. The only hits with H's are the 57 results over on the enlistment records site.

I have been in this hobby for many years, but it still does my heart good to see fellow collectors find an item they get excited over. Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see your display.

Just thinking out loud, another thing to keep in mind, is that only certain regiments of the 101st wore name tapes on their jump coats. From what I've read and I'm happy to be corrected, according to Bando the 502nd and 377th PFAB wore white stenciled name tapes and the 506th used tan ones briefly.

The size of the ghosting on yours looks like the size of the white herringbone tape that was used.

Most pics of guys with name tape that show up for D Day are being worn by officers but a few other ranks as well. As its its not a reinforced jump jacket so its might be fair to assume its not a D Day worn one as 95% of coats worn on D day were reinforced. So again, an assumption is that its someones spare jump coat, perhaps his walking around coat.

That would certainly help researching if the name tape idea is valid. I will have to look into that! Ive ran into a dead end in searching laundry numbers. It’s really tough without rosters to compare to. I need to buy the 101st roster book but I wouldn’t even know where to begin in searching in it.

Skysoldier80

John, another nice snag. Thanks for sharing.

That would certainly help researching if the name tape idea is valid. I will have to look into that! Ive ran into a dead end in searching laundry numbers. It’s really tough without rosters to compare to. I need to buy the 101st roster book but I wouldn’t even know where to begin in searching in it.

Hi,

Love the M42, got one myself from VintageProduction, it has a name tape (tan version) and I've been hard on finding info about the Vet since receiving it!! Wishing you all the best!

To narrow your search a bit, do you know in which state the jacket was found? It's a reasonable assumption to make that wherever the jacket was found could be similar to where the vet lived. from the state you can do further research on newspaper articles, and rule some of the 57 names out.

It's not always the case of course, but I'd happily take that info if nothing else is at hand aside from the laundry number...

Good Luck and I'll keep an eye open!

Cheers

JEB

Hi,

Love the M42, got one myself from VintageProduction, it has a name tape (tan version) and I've been hard on finding info about the Vet since receiving it!! Wishing you all the best!

To narrow your search a bit, do you know in which state the jacket was found? It's a reasonable assumption to make that wherever the jacket was found could be similar to where the vet lived. from the state you can do further research on newspaper articles, and rule some of the 57 names out.

It's not always the case of course, but I'd happily take that info if nothing else is at hand aside from the laundry number...

Good Luck and I'll keep an eye open!

Cheers

JEB

The jacket came from Minnesota. Ive tried to use that as a gauge but I had no luck. I have slowly filed down the total of 57 so I am happy. Someday I'll solve the mystery!

The jacket came from Minnesota. Ive tried to use that as a gauge but I had no luck. I have slowly filed down the total of 57 so I am happy. Someday I'll solve the mystery!

there was a William J Grant from Minnesota that enlisted in New Ulm Minnesota,He was from South Dakota originally.Branch showed Coastal Artillery/National Guard and Private rank.The serial number isn't a match.Not sure if it would be the same Grant or if the enlistment record just reflects when he joined.Some men would transfer etc.

http://www.ww2enlistment.org/index.php?page=directory&rec=1993461

Here is a jacket with a name tape.I may have mentioned this in the past.I purchased this around 1977-78 when I was a young collector.It was listed in the Shotgun News.Its far from perfect but shows a lot of use and wear,repairs,stains,laundering etc.The zipper is replaced.I have since seen two other jacket with the same zipper and in my thinking they are german made zippers and thinking they were replaced while in Europe.THe knife pocket was removed to facillitate the installation of the zipper and never replaced.

Appears to be a G3168(or possibly 9) several times in the collar and P4151 once below the collar.

I did see a Norman D Gallien(enlisted from New Hampshire) ending with 3169 today.I haven't ran it much further.

If this jacket could talk and tell the stories of its travels.

post-342-0-82821800-1556161797.jpg

post-342-0-73424300-1556161876_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

It could work for Market Garden, however it would be unit specific. I believe men of the 82nd Airborne Division, 504th PIR used the M42 jacket.

As a continuation of this part of the thread, I wasn't sure where I should post it but I found this pic on instagram of 501st guys in Holland so credit to who ever pic it is.

Guy on the left is wearing a jump jacket under his 43 coat. I know it probably happened a bit but its still kind of a cool pic

post-117117-0-60099100-1561022705_thumb.jpg

That is a really cool picture! Thanks for sharing!

I decided to not deck the uniform out with any equipment. I don't want damage it because there is a small tear on one of the shoulders that might worsen if pressures put on it. I'm looking for a nice Airborne Infantry Garrison cap to put with it. It still looks really nice in the corner of my man cave.

post-163178-0-24399200-1561057988_thumb.jpg