Seabee Guadalcanal T-Shirt - 6th NCB

Seabee147

At an antique shop, I saw this folded and placed as a cushion under a glass bowl. No other militaria in the booth at all. I still don't know what prompted me to look closer, but I am sure glad I did! The image is printed on the back of the shirt.

A name is stenciled on the hem in two places, along with his service number. All legible! I didn't find him by a search of his number, but I did find him by name in the 6th NCB cruise book roster.

Holes all over this shirt, but gratefully none in the printed area. Lots of yellowing too. But, wow, so great. Never saw one like this before.

I just had to share this one!

post-173024-0-95926600-1555273950_thumb.jpg

post-173024-0-60579700-1555274431.jpg

Thanks, guys. This will occupy a place of honor among my other CB stuff.

I need to weigh display options against inviting further wear and tear. Any ideas?

hbtcoveralls

My wife's uncle served in the 6th NCB on Guadalcanal

This is an amazing find.

I'll check his photos to see if I can find anybody wearing a shirt like this

Tom Bowers

Thank you, hbtcoveralls! I checked out the cruise book, with no success. Definitely post back if you find anything.

My research about this guy (name was George Rich) showed he was in A company. A and D companies of the 6th NCB were the first seabees onto the island - 9/1/42, if I'm reading that right. Worked on the famed Henderson Field.