Haiti here I come! WW1 USMC officers grouping.

EGA-DOG

Very nice group. Love the VM with bars and stars.

Question: Are the stars bronze or silver?

The stars are bronze.

Brian

Regards

Herman

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Nothing like being fined $25 for wounding three marines due to "carelessly discharging his pistol." That comes to $8.33 per wounding!

Thank you for sharing this amazing group and the additional information that you have acquired.

Allan

Nothing like being fined $25 for wounding three marines due to "carelessly discharging his pistol." That comes to $8.33 per wounding!

Thank you for sharing this amazing group and the additional information that you have acquired.

Allan

Lol. I've seen worse punishment for sitting down on guard duty.

Brian

I regret having to be the only voice of caution concerning Applegate's Haiti 1919-1920 clasp. The USMC made up a short list of 19 Officers and 71 enlisted men who rated both the 1915 Haitian medal and the 1919-1920 clasp. Colonel Gleim first published this list, which has been reprinted. See ":The Gleim Medal Letters - 1971 - 1997", Extract C31 on pages 59-60. Applegate's name does not appear on this list.

It's quite possible that this USMC list omitted some additional Marines who did qualify for both the 1915 medal and the clasp. Do you have any additional official paperwork that. shows Applegate returning to Haiti in 1919-1920??

Tom. As far as Col. Gleim's research, I find many things he published about Banana War Marine campaign medals to be flawed or incomplete. Especially, his Haitian list and Expeditionary medal research. A quick search on Ancestry's USMC Muster Rolls would have hopefully satisfied your concerns. I have attached a photo of Chauncey Applegate in Haiti in 1920. Which would qualify him the 1919-1920 bar (prior service in Haiti).

Brian

post-7989-0-73273700-1568911618.jpg

post-7989-0-60052300-1568911657.jpg

Many thanks, Brian. I'm greatly relieved by the documentation of Applegate's time in Haiti 1919-20. His medal and clasp looked completely righteous to me, so I had already given him the benefit of my doubt.

By the way, Applegate also appears to have been an "invisible man" while serving with the 2 nd Division AEF. The 2 nd Div. official history has comprehensive citation lists that include both US & foreign decorations. I carefully pored over these lists, but could not find Applegate's three French Croix de Guerre awards.